yz250rider05

Apr 25, 2009
Hi I have a 2005 yz250 and I just rebuilt the top end in it. When I put it back together I turned the motor over with a ratchet on the flywheel side and it turns over fine, but when i install the clutch basket and try to kick the motor over using the kickstarter it binds up. If I take the clutch basket off the kickstarter gear moves nice and free, and seems to function right. I tried to put grease on the gears and put the clutch basket back in to see if it is hitting anything but it doesn't. I was wondering if anybody knows why it would be binding up when the clutch basket is installed.

yz250rider05

Apr 25, 2009
2005 yz250

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi I have a 2005 yz250 and I just rebuilt the top end in it. When I put it back together I turned the motor over with a ratchet on the flywheel side and it turns over fine, but when i install the clutch basket and try to kick the motor over using the kickstarter it binds up. If I take the clutch basket off the kickstarter gear moves nice and free, and seems to function right. I tried to put grease on the gears and put the clutch basket back in to see if it is hitting anything but it doesn't. I was wondering if anybody knows why it would be binding up when the clutch basket is installed.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I don't know about that model but Yamaha likes to use two washers on the clutch assembly.One behind the basket and the other between the basket and the hub.If you forget one it will bind up.You really wanna know how I came across that info? :(

yz250rider05

Apr 25, 2009
2005 yz250 found the problem why it wont kick over

I found the problem why the bike wouldn't kick over. I had the cylinder sleeved, i took it off to check the ring gap, and it was good. There was no marks in the the sleeve where the piston would be catching. But if you turn the cylinder over and look at the bottom where the sleeve comes through. there are to marks where the crank has hitting the bottom of the sleeve thats why it won't turn over. The sleeve needs radius on the ends for clearance. I am writing this message for the two people that replied to my first one just to let you know i found the problem, and i appreciate them replying to my first message.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom