2006 cr 250 locked up!!!!!!!!!!

mavrck

Jun 2, 2008
took my bike out for the first time rode for about 2 hrs ran great on the way home the back tire locked up and the motor died ,still can turn motor over but no compression and the spark plug had got really hot, looking for reasons why this happened, it really sucks only got to ride it for 2 hrs and im running 32:1 hp2 oil so would have thought my fuel would have been ok thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Were you on the road when it locked up?

Did you roll off the throttle and coast at high speed without pulling in the clutch?

That's how I blew up my '99 CR. Hot motor, high rpm and no fuel to cool and lubricate. Took out the crank and a bunch of other parts.

You'll have to take it apart to see what went wrong. Hopefully the cylinder is ok.

mavrck

Jun 2, 2008
i was on the road in probally 4th or 3rd just cruising going up hill on and off the throttle and i started to notice a funny noise coming from the motor and then it got louder and that was it

mavrck

Jun 2, 2008
how would being on the road effect the motor and what is the best way not to run into the problem again because i do have to tride the road a little ways to get to where i ride

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Being on the road is really irrellevant. Dave's point is about fuel/oil lubrication. It sounds like your mix got REAL lean. I happened to me on a cold day, let off the throttle and coasted without the clutch in. It seized the engine and then released. Cost me a 3rd place positition, a piston, cylinder, and down time. Pull it apart and inspect completely. Check the boot between the carb and cylinder, the connection should be tight.

mavrck

Jun 2, 2008
thanks for the help pretty sure that boot was tight because had just took everything apart and cleaned the carb and reeds but never know i checked for a air leak while it was runnig and sprayed some wd around the boot and carb etc and never heard it idle up hopefully i'll get apart this week and see, hoping the cylinder is still good how does the clutch help with this problem also the local bike shop said to put a reed cage gasket between the carb boot and reed cage since i was using the v force reeds because they some times don't seal good and yes i did have the one between the motor and reeds

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Having the clutch pulled in while coasting allows the engine to idle rather than run at a higher RPM without fuel/oil lubrication in the piston, thus cooling the cylinder. If the engine is running at a high RPM for very long without lubrication, the heat will cause seizing. If you are running lean, this can happen really fast.
This type of seizing on a two stroke commonly happens when riders coast at speed on a road way. Most(not all) trail riding or track riding limits the speed and distance that one can coast for an extended period of time. This type of seizing can happen on the trail or track but is probably not as common. Like many riders, I blip the throttle frequently to help prevent this.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I did an enduro once on my 1993 YZ/WR 250 2 smoker. Great motor built by Eric Gorr and I ran 40:1.

Well, I almost passed out from being out of shape. Puked my guts up and was barely holding on in first just blipping the throttle to keep going. I finally got to a road to take back to the pits so I can load up and go home.

I pin it and hit 5th gear pinned when the bike locked up. I pulled in the clutch and went to the side into the dirt and let out the clutch and the bike started back up.

I pulled the piston and it had a lot of marks on the piston where it seized but everything was in tolerance and the cylinder was still in good shape. Put a new piston in and it was good to go for a lot more riding and ran great.

Talked to Rich and he said it sounded like I spoded the engine since I putted in 1st gear for so long without the powervalve opening and once I did things didn't cool at the exact same rate.

Now I have a 4 stroke and the only problem I have with my spode riding style is that I occasionally boil the fuel.

Ivan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…