SADude

Jul 8, 2004
I have had my KX for a while now and have done some stuff to make it more woods friendly.

I am 5'9" 200Lbs, but will be down to 185 - 190lbs soon.

I have put a IMS long range tank on, skid plate, bark busters, o-ring chain and I have done some setting up of my standard suspension, I have also re-jetted the carb, fitted an 11oz. flywheel weight and gone from the standard 13/51 gearing to a 13/48. ( I am considering going back to standard 13/51??)

I know there are alot of thing you can do, what I want to know is what makes the biggest differences to making the bike a good wood weapon?

How important would it be to put and 18in rear wheel on the back, etc? What are the advantages??

What gearing would you recommend considering I do alot of technical riding, hill climbs and tight forrest sections?

Any information would be greatly appriciated, thanks

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
Devol radiator guards have always taken care of me no matter how stupid I get.

As far as the 18 inch rear goes, I wouldn't bother with it. More important to just have fresh tires.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
An 18 inch rear will cushion the blow ,so to speak, and does take way more abuse than a 19 will. Most all offroad bikes come standard with a 18" rear now. The 19" is more of a MX thing because it weighs less and don't flex as much as a 18".

As for gearing, 13/49 or 13/50 would be a better choice depending on where your riding the most.

The last thing to consider is a steering stabilizer like a Scotts unit. It's quite the wrist saver.

The thing that will make the biggest difference is having your suspension revalved for your riding. Not a lot of money and worth every penny.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Thank you for the responses, I am buying a 50 tooth rear sprocket today. I was looking at the gear ratio for the YZ250, KX250 and the KTM 250XC and managed to find some kind of compromise between a good bottom end and an okay top end.

Does anyone have gear ratios for a 2-stroke WR250?

I will look into the suspension being revalved, I will have to try and find someone that does it here in South Africa or better yet in Durban or Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

Stearing Damper are quite expensive here in SA, so I woill do that last, if I decide to get one.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
hey mate,
I've retarded the ignition a tiny bit, added an 11 oz flywheel, and modified the forks to give a plusher midrange feel and the bike is absolutely fantastic.

I was using 14/51 for a while as the MX gearing was too short between gears. But I'm thinking of going a little longer in the gears so I can use a more constant throttle rather than the wap wap wap approach.... kind of like a GG 300. Makes you ride smoother and keep the momentum going.

Incidentally the difference on the ground between a 13/50 and 13/49 is approx 1.3" shorter per revolution of the wheel so there's not a lot in it. While a change from 13/51 to 13/48 is over 4.4" longer per revolution... that's big.

I think it depends on how and where you ride. If you're good at leaving it in gear, a longer gear makes sense, or if your bike has a narrow powerband or you just like changing gears, then you need lots of quick fire gear changes to keep you in the meat... there are quick guys on alls orts of combinations!!!!

See ya

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Hi SA Dude

Look at putting in enduro tubes , they are a lot thicker than standard so will take more to get punctured . The 18inch wheel is used on enduro due to the higher profile tyre , 19 inch are used for mx as they have lower profile and flex less .

You will only need taller gearing if you find you are using 5th gear and want more speed .

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I've got an 00' KX250, I ride only woods, Trail, hill climbs. The stock gearing for that year was 13/48. way to high for me, I usually go with a front sprocket change, I went to 12/48. wow, what a difference. It's the best modifaction I've done. 2 nd gear is perfect for knarly hills, 1st works for the super technical stuff, and 3rd is the all around gear, 4th and 5th get used, but not all that often. Now the draw back is all the gears are closer together and you lose top speed. good luck.

Top Bottom