quickstang77

Nov 25, 2005
Ok guys picked up an 06 yz 250 couple months ago. Love the bike. So far procircuit pipe and silencer and vforce 3, protapers. Cant decide if I want to go up one tooth in the back, currently a 50 stock. I am a B class rider and race strictly MX. Future mods are having the motor done by PR2 racing right around the corner from me. Having it stroked ported and balanced. Promises 57 horses on the dyno. What are your guys opinion on the gearing? Please let me know I cant make up my mind

~freedumb

Jul 31, 2005
i have a 2004 yz 250 ...once i wear out the stock sprockets, i probably will go up one tooth in the rear.

but ..i believe gearing is supposed depend on your track's condition, type of terrain, and your skills....so id suggest wearing out stock ones and going from there.

ruffryder19

Sep 14, 2005
I have a 50 tooth on the back, im sure you wont notice a difference in 1 tooth, if yeah want more of its snappy low end, I guess I would go higher on the back sprocket.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I'd stick with the 50 tooth. Plenty of bottom on the YZ's. You may actually wan't to try a tooth less to stetch out the gears. I actually like my CR with 1 tooth less on the back, and it doesn't have near the bottom of the YZ. Adding a tooth will only cause you to need to shift more. If your like me, you shoot out of one corner, and down a short straight - you know you can grab another gear, but you don't because you know your going to be downshifting a second or two later. When I'm fresh, I grab the gear - as the race wears on, I tend to stretch the gear I'm in a little further.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I'm in agreement with going down a tooth on the rear it feels fine right now the bike has a ton of snap all ready if anything it could use something to tame it down alittle. I need to get my hands on some slightly worn freebe's to test out gearing changes with. I don't know if going to a 14 up front would be to much. If you get that bike ported etc your gonna want to go down a tooth or two on the rear cause it wheel spins now it will be worse after it's modded plus the more HP will pull the taller gearing easier. You need as much top speed as you can get out of it cause of those 450's keep the 50 as a back up for when the track maybe get's tighter.

Top Bottom