11brianm

Feb 13, 2009
Help! i have a 2006 yzf250 and i was doing about 65, when the thing locked up, i get off it and descover the oil cooler drain bolt fell out! so i brought it home, and put oil in it, and i was able to get the piston moving again, but it wouldn't start! i tore it down, and checked the valve clearences, timing, fuel/air mixture, all gears work, clutch engages and disengages fine, its got 65psi compession, spark plug fine, spark voltage within allowable range, turns over the same as before the seizure, but still won't start! i even tried pop starting it sevral times on a hill with and without choke, but still nothing! please help! any idears?

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
All I can say is ....OUCH!!!!!!!!!.
If it ran out of oil, there is going to be some major damage internally. For the cost of gaskets, I would tear the engine down and inspect it. The cam journals are probably damaged, the piston and cylinder are probably scored, the crank bearings maybe damaged as well. The transmission shafts could also have some damage. This is only from a mechanic's point of view, in knowing what happens to engines that run without the nessessary lubrication.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
11brianm said:
Help! i have a 2006 yzf250 and i was doing about 65, when the thing locked up, i get off it and descover the oil cooler drain bolt fell out! its got 65psi compession,
That amount of compression is not enough. You have cooked your engine. You might as well start tearing it down. Also, like sharky said, pay particular attention to the cam journals and cam since this is the first place to receive damage when you run out of oil in a YZF engine. If your engine will not kickstart, never try to pull start it. If it does start, you will only cause more damage.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Absolutely, tear it down!!!

If it locked up, something is most likely damaged. Trying to run it like that may cause further damage.

11brianm

Feb 13, 2009
yeah, thanks sharky243, good advice, now how much do u think it would cost for a new jug, piston, and head? i would do the work myself. do u think it would be a good idear to just bore it out to a 290cc when i got it torn down? or just go stock to eliminate any other chances of creating a problem making it harder to start?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Depending on the extent of damage the tab could approach or even exceed 2k dollars.

The overbore isn't much more if you need the cylinder replated anyway. They sometimes cause some overheating concerns requiring cooling system upgrades.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
It all depends on the extent of the damage. If you need a new head, I know they are about $900 (cdn.). If you plan to go oversize, why not just get an "Athena" big bore kit ?. Overheating issues can be taken care of with larger rads and Boyesen makes a nice water pump kit to increase flow. If the cams are damage, get a set of stage one hotcams. This will boost mid to top end power. You may need to re-jet after building this beast. Add fuel and oil, and hang on for dear life !!!

11brianm

Feb 13, 2009
thanks sharky, i think il go for the athena big bore, cams, and jetting! no my last question is how do increase the top end, when it ran i tacked it out at 80mph, im looking for someweres in the 90mph range! obviously i should change the sprocket in back, to a smaller one, should i change the one in front to a bigger one with two or three more teeth? i do realize that it will slow down my acceleration on the low end, but i still have no idear whats a good ratio. i have a 52 tooth in back right now, and i think a 12 in front. thanks dude!

11brianm

Feb 13, 2009
oh, and i was also wondering if there was a stator i could buy thats strong enought to run two 55watt halogen lights with a battery?

11brianm

Feb 13, 2009
i was also wondering if there were any stators for my yzf250, that would be strong enought to run 2 12v 55watt hallogen lights with a 12v battery? how much u think that would cost? im going all out on this rebuild, i want this thing to own other 250's!

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
I believe there are kits you can buy that will alow you to run lights. You can probably put in a stator off of a wr250f. They run basically the same engine. You will need to hook up a small 12v battery as well. A good place to put the battery is in the air box.

Top Bottom