2007 AMA Congress Off-Road Proposals

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
post your thoughts in here, I will be there in october. of course after last year on the mx class structures, no guarentee they will listen or do what passes.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would have an issue with the first item:

Proposal:

Motorcycle – a two-wheeled vehicle receiving power to one wheel only from a single motorcycle engine. The minimum wheelbase is 53 inches; minimum rear wheel 19 inches

Reason for proposal:

-To eliminate the possibility of minibikes being modified to compete in “motorcycle” classes (i.e. vet classes or A, B, C classes

END QUOTE

That would also eliminate the possibility of me entering on my stock YZ-125 as it has an 18 inch rear wheel.

I am also a bit curious why "mini-bikes" competing with the big bigs is a problem that warrants eliminating some perfectly good, stock, MX bikes.

Rod

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
In reference to Proposal #1:

To start with, I'm curious as to the reasoning for wanting to eliminate the possibility of minibikes being modified to complete in offroad classes. I'm assuming that this applies to enduro classes.

There are already class designations based on engine displacement; I don't think there should be further or additional limitations regarding wheel or frame size.

There was a 14 year old kid who rode his first AMA enduro this season (a National). He is a very fast and skilled rider, short in statue. I believe that he rides a CR-85. He finished, which was a great accomplishment, and even beat a lot of the adult riders. He likely would have not been able to ride this event if forced to ride a full-sized bike.

I think the proposal for a 19" minimum rear wheel is perhaps an oversight, and not considering that some full-sized off-road bikes come with 18" wheels (Note: I believe that YZ's (and all MX bikes) come with 19", not 18", rear wheels.)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
wardy said:
post your thoughts in here, I will be there in october. of course after last year on the mx class structures, no guarentee they will listen or do what passes.
Wardy - Can we assuming that you'll be monitoring this thread and take this feedback to Congress?

Or should we officially contact our AMA Congress representative for submitting feedback?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
What was the outcome of October 4th meeting?

Haven't seen anything posted yet on the AMA site.

Thanks...

motosteve

Sep 2, 2005
Complete class listing of approved amateur class structure for AMA Motocross events. All classes are approved for competition and promoters must advertise any classes to be run. All classes must have a minimum wheel base of 53" (except Women’s class). All classes may be divided into A, B and C skill levels at the promoter’s discretion.
CLASS NAME DISPLACEMENT RULES
125cc 122cc - 125cc 2-Stroke
250cc 122cc-250cc
Open 122cc-Open cc
14-24 122cc-Open cc
Plus 25 122cc-Open cc
Vet Plus 30 122cc-Open cc
Vet Plus 35 122cc-Open cc
Senior Plus 40 122cc-Open cc
Senior Plus 45 122cc-Open cc
Senior Plus 50 122cc-Open cc
Women (12+) 99cc-250cc

Reason for proposal:

-Rulebook cleanup and organization
-"Motorcycles" only, nothing below a full size 125cc two-stroke for all amateur classes
-125cc 2-stroke class available at the local level
-Opening up the minimum displacement of the 250 and Open classes will allow riders to compete in more classes on the same bike, as well as benefit from racing the bike they are most comfortable with. Promoters will benefit from riders being able to enter additional classes.
-Stop chasing two-stroke displacement for bikes that don’t and never will exist.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks MotoSteve....

Anything else? I'm curious about the other rule proposals. Did you get this from the AMA or another web site? Or were you at the meeting?

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
there is a complete list of rules which passed and corresponding pages on www.amadistrict17.com

the final vote to ratify will come ama board of trustees sometime in november. will advise once we know what they do.

wardy

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If this is ratified, I will likely renew my membership.

Top Bottom