lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Word from Ohio appears to be that a version of last years "Fair Displacement " rule has passed.

Proposed class structure for Amateur Racing would be
125 CC (Two and Four Stroke)
250 CC (Two and Four Stroke)
Open (125cc - 700cc)

There were also some slight modifications to the age restrictions in the youth classes.

Please note I have not seen this in print but was told by a promoter who was present.

Maybe 12 months of complaining had an impact.......... :think:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
this year will be different I have confidence in that. there was a whole different attitude about this rule passage. NO complaints, from anyone, we all worked together and passed a good class structure. it took 4.5 hours last friday. There were people in the room that make things happen. Also some of the very trustees who will vote on this were there also, and it was clear we voted it in with no disention.

But like I heard out there also from the AMA 's new president, "proofs in the puddin" so I will hold him to that and see if congress's rule on classification will pass.

please note last years proposal which failed was submitted by me, LOL i truely believe they didn't expect it to pass or have support that it had. This years proposal was submitted by ama staff, and that in it's self leads me to believe it will make it.

www.amadistrict17.com has the proposals and the list of results posted on the home page.

a new points per finish for advancement passed also. trying to make it more fair.

see what happens the trustees vote on this in november I do believe.

wardy

class stucture proposal you are looking for is number 59 & 72 it was ammended 9 times, but it kept the main reason for being.....parity. it's a good rule........

Last edited:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Wardy, I knew that you would be along to address this. Thanks for your insight on the climate of the rule makers, it makes speculation much easier for the rest of us.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
November 17th and as soon as I know I will post it. I think it will pass but in my conversation yesterday with an AMA staff member he told me there still maybe some static from the "corporate" side of the trustees. If this happens that is doesn't pass, there will be a bigger crap storm then they had last year.

lets hope they pass it, its the right thing to do.

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
WOW I hope it sticks this time. But it'll really hack most people off here in the northeast. Everyone in MX is on a 4stroke. The occasional sighting is either poor foke or the grenaded 4s back-up plan.
Thanks to all that fought for this to be.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Yep I hope it passes as well and that it spreads to the FIM. Although I appreciate the extra cc with these 144/153/285 rules it's really not good for the sport to have so many displacements and will probably kill two strokes even faster with so many different bikes out there and the cost of overbores etc. It makes no sense for there to be a youth class where 125cc is the max, a 125 class where 125cc is the max and a Lites class where 144/153 is the max. One capacity means one set of tools for manufacturers which has got to be better for consumers.

Good luck!

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
I have called a few peeps and no return calls yet, I hope to know tommorow and will post as soon as i know. heck AMA should have it on the site tuesday at the latest, they did last year.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Thanks! I too am curious to see what the outcome of this year's AMA corporate shell game will reveal. :blah:

As usual, I do not expect much good to come from it, despite what I've heard. Incompetence runs deep at the AMA H.Q. :coocoo:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
I expect the opposite, I really believe they will pass the rule changes and make more changes that will get this whole deal moving better. the pure example of keeping this completely controled and quiet leads me to believe they may be working together now better then ever? LOL thats either good or bad? have to see. they are going to post on the AMA site, I would bet today or tommorow, they did the same last year.

My gut feeling is the class structure we passed at congress is a go. lets hope so.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
So tell me if I am understanding this right.....

125cc 2-stroke bikes would race only against 125cc 4-stroke bikes? Same story for 250cc 2-stroke bikes? They will only race against 250cc 4-stroke bikes? More or less putting the 450's into an "open" class like the 500cc open class of the old 2-stroke days? I assume this to try and make things more fair for the 2-stroke riders?

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
This is how it was proposed by congress to the board...

Amateur Classes
bike must have a 53" wheelbase except woman's classes

CLASS NAME DISPLACEMENT RULES
125cc 122cc - 125cc 2-Stroke
250cc 122cc-250cc
Open 122cc-Open cc
14-24 122cc-Open cc
Plus 25 122cc-Open cc
Vet Plus 30 122cc-Open cc
Vet Plus 35 122cc-Open cc
Senior Plus 40 122cc-Open cc
Senior Plus 45 122cc-Open cc
Senior Plus 50 122cc-Open cc
Women (12+) 99cc-250cc

Last edited:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
yep that looks like the structure. pred it's not "just" about 2 stroke vrs 4stroke. look at that class structure again. It allows a 250 rider the ability to ride open and NOT have to buy another bike. This is huge! instead of dad spending part of the kids college fund, he only has to have junior on one bike. Hell a good rider on a 125 could race three class sizes.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about saving money and whatnot, but if you're going to do that maybe they could cut about three or four of the eleventy-brazilian classes that are raced throughout the Loretta Lynn's week, eh?

The whole amateur MX thing needs some kind of overhaul. I mean, cripes, you have all those classes for everyone, but only two or three womens classes. I'll start racing again when they have the "you gotta weigh more than your bike" class.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
HEY I resemble that remark~! We tried that 220+ class back in the day, didn't know so many "VAIN" mx guys on the planet! Funny to talk about but NO ONE signed up, cept maybe bill?

i aggree on the classes but realize that MX sports decides on all those "stock, purple bikes on tuesday" classes. normal mx on every sunday don't run all that stuff. hell a National normal championship (amatuer) could be run in three days, not a week, but LOL what kind of money and exsposure would that make? Look at the way that whole thing has gone, and for that matter, mini-O's (2100 riders this week), Branson (1800+ riders), actually sign ups but no matter it's huge business, in fact so huge that it pretty much "runs" amatuer mx. We still have alot of classes. There will be 2 "female" classes, adult and kids, the whole structure is streamlined. Maybe not enough for us "old" 8 class on sunday types, but it is what it is. :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RM_guy said:
Soooo...Pred wants an overweight women's class so he can feel comfortable racing again :p
yes, because I might be able to compete, then.

Where's my bra?

Top Bottom