2007 - KX450F vs YZ450F - Help Please.

gretch6364

May 21, 2007
So I went and looked at these two bikes tonight as I have narrowed my search to these two. They both have the same dry weight and I am sure they perform to levels I will never attain.

When choosing between these two bikes for me it comes down to maintenance time and cost.

Is the Yamaha going to be more expense due to dealer marker on parts because of the "yamaha name brand" ?

Has anyone heard anything on issues with these two bikes? I know the Kawasaki has now been out for a few years so we should know if they are mellons.

I am mostly concerned with the valving and any issues with parts breaking and monitoring the valves.

They are both priced the same from the dealer 5699. The white Yamaha's are sharp. Thanks in advance for the advice and any experience.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Personally, I'd go Yamaha just because they've been building the high performance 4-stroke engine since 1998, while Kawasaki is still new to the program. I really don't think you'd have issues with either, though.

Might come down to you picking your favorite color.

gretch6364

May 21, 2007
I am thinking about the Yamaha. The dealer has two of the special edition white/silver ones. That way....I don't have a color!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
dirtbike_freak said:
If he's begginer would he really be able to tell much difference?
I'm going by how reliable the machine might be. Yamaha's been building 'em longer, so it would follow that maybe they know more about what they are doing.

gretch6364

May 21, 2007
I am not concerned with which one is faster or better performing...there is no way I will be disappointed either way with the performance. I was more concerned with the service and cost of ownership. I am going to try and get to the dealer and pick one tonight

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I haven't really seen or heard of many issues with the KX450F's, that being said as Pred pointed out Yamaha has a much longer history of solid engines in this class to fall back on.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Over the course of time the YZF engine design has proven itself to be the most reliable and least expensive to maintain of all the current big bores. The Kawasaki is a nice design but for most people it will be more expensive to own over time.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
depending on how long you plan on keeping it, the Hondas seem to have a better resale value.
I had a 06 yamaha 450. Great bike
Seems parts are cheaper on the yamaha over my honda.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom