JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
2009 150 SX or a 2009 YZ125

Hey, thanks for looking at my thread. I know you can search online and see a bunch of these threads, but i wanted to create one specific for my needs.

I've found 2 bikes, both are 2009's. One is a 150SX and the other is a YZ 125. Both are brand new, and the dealer is asking $5,688. I am leaning towards the KTM based on the fact that it is bigger, and thus i am less likely to outgrow it.

I am 5'10, 150lbs and will be using the bike mostly in my backyard on 8 acres for small homemade jumps, and the occasional Race through our trails vs my friend on his TTR250.

I have never ridden a 2 stroke, most of my experience is on a 4 wheeler. My question is: Will the 150SX be to much bike for me to learn on? (i come from a extreme sports background so i am not easily discouraged, and less concerned about eating it)

i really have no brand preference, but i would really like a KTM or Yamaha based on all that i have read.

So..What do you all think? if you were in my shoes, 5,700$ on a new 150SX or would you pay the same and get the smaller bike to learn on? (YZ 125)

Last edited:

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
Personally I would go with the YZ but let me ask you why this bike has to be new? Used 125's are cheap as hell this time of year. You could get an 05 for 2grand probrably.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
As far as smaller, both the YZ and the SX are full size bikes, the Yamaha actually sits a half an inch taller. Yes the KTM has an extra 20cc (it's actually a 144) but that would not be my deciding factor as you could make the YZ a 144 for a reasonable sum of money later if you decided to upgrade.

For me the absolute reality in this decision is that the original KTM144SX that has now been rebadged as the 150SX have been a reliability nightmare since their release in 2007.

I'm in agreement with aweebitofjt69 in questioning the need to go with a new 09 for close 6k? The YZ is essentially unchanged since 2005 and you could likely find a near new 05-08 for peanuts. This would leave you all sorts of left over dollars to go with the big bore 144 should you wish to do so, it also keeps your initial investment in the sport down if you find you don't enjoy it as much as you anticipated. This is an important factor because the harsh reality is 6 months after buying that $6k 125 you'll be lucky to sell it for $3500.

You don't list a location but here is an example of the kind of bargains you can find on the used market http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=169029

Last edited:

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
thanks for responding, those are some excellent points to think about. The reason i was leaning towards new, is that i found it alot harder to get financing for an older model bike given my situation (Need a co-borrower, which is in another state. Havent found much luck with a bank who will work with that), and most of the YZ 125s i could pay cash for (about $1200) are around 2001's. I have read about the KTMS questionable reliabilty as well, and the nearest dealer is almost 40 minutes away. I read that some of the small changes in 09 might have helped with some of the problems, but who knows. so you think my best bet would be to stay away from the KTMs until they have proven themselves a little more, yeah i probably should. Seems ive just read to many articles about how quick they are for such a little bike and lost my way...

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
From what I have been told KTM will cost more to maintain as well. I was looking at them and the Kawasaki at a dealer and he said since I was just starting out he would not recomment the KTM unless I was ready to spend the money. The older YZ would probably not be a big problem since you are not racing. My neighbor has a 95 CR250 and has no issues at all, he does not race either.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Basic maintenance on the KTM and the YZ would be a wash, it's the fact that particular KTM has a problem keeping the engine together that is the issue

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't finance TOYS! So what if you can only afford to pay cash for a 2001, it doesn't matter for your use one bit. The 2001 YZ is a great bike as would be most any other from that year. My son and I both LOVE his '01 CR it's a great bike and it's paid for which leave money for other stuff.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
I appreciate all the good advice. So you think a 2001 125 2 stroke would be well suited to do some small - medium backyard jumps? i just need something that is fairly reliable, im trying to spend the rest of the season and next spring riding, and not with my bike in the shop. How much maintenance does it take to keep an older model running? what other costs could i expect over the next year or so on a decent older model, say 99-2003. Thanks.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The basic design and maintenance schedules are very similar over the past 10-15 years. If you hold out for a clean, low hour bike it will probly hold up for at least a season of easy riding. I would never expect even a new MX bike to go more than a seaon without a teardown. Maintenance on a 125 is easy though and doesn't take long at all once you do it a few times.

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
your fine with an 01, if your not racing, you wont need the newer bikes. Like you said backyard jumps, if your riding in your back yard and its under say 3 acres the 125 is too big. but my 00 rm 250 starts first kick and I keep up fine with other 250s for the most part. Remember the rider is what makes the bike fast.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
Ok. so i have definitely decided to stay away from the 144/150sx, and pretty much all the Ktms due to the fact that the closest dealer is almost an hour away. Im gonna stick with a yamaha (dealer is 10 miles away). I actually got a chance to ride my friends TTr250 all weekend, it was a blast. But i feel the big is just to heavy for what id like to do. Im gonna stick with a YZ125. I will be riding on 8 acres, and i appreciate the advice. We've been clearing trails the last 2 weekends and i ive saved up enough so i should be able to get a bike on the 15th of nov.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I would go with the Yamaha as well. The dealer being so close is a deal maker, well, that and the fact that the YZ is a great bike.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
longtime coming said:
FWIW, I don't believe the KTM150 has the same problems as the 144? There are a few around here that have been good.

FWIW the KTM 150 is a 144 and the same bike with normal year to year changes. They have been full of issues since day one but are slowly getting better.

Mar 18, 2006
FWIW, I knew that. The new ones have a different ignition and maybe piston/cylinder?? which helps prevent failures. They are a really good bike that will kick the 250f's butt, IMO. :)

Not a good first bike, though, for various reasons. I wasn't trying to encourage the fellow one way or the other on this one. I was trying to soften your "hit" on the 150. It is a class beating bike. Period.

Can't go wrong with most Yamahas.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The 144/150 is more competitive against 250F's than a 125 but a class beater? not a chance, you are still at a disadvantage against the thumpers.

The reality and history I've seen with the KTM144/150 is that the 07/08 had some issues with rings snagging ports and taking out the top end, seemed corrected for 09. 08 had tons of CDI issues also seemingly corrected for 09 and all of them have had gearbox issues which has allegedly been fixed for 2010.

Mar 18, 2006
OK. Didn't know about the gearbox issues. But I still know a good rider on a 150 can beat the class of 250f's. Just takes a "no-mistakes" kind of guy(a good 125 rider). The 150's power is easily competitive.

Now you got me wondering about this '08 200 gearbox that we have?... It seems to be a great tranny so far. What was wearing out/breaking on the 150's? Sorry about the hijack! I think JawdenWilsabi has it figured out now anyway.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
longtime coming said:
OK. Didn't know about the gearbox issues. But I still know a good rider on a 150 can beat the class of 250f's. Just takes a "no-mistakes" kind of guy(a good 125 rider). The 150's power is easily competitive.

A good rider on a 125 can beat a class of 250f's - if he's better than the guys on the 250f's.

It's at least 90% rider.

I race C and D class - I was on an Eric Gorr built RM144 with suspension mods. A friend on a bone stock RM125 beat me by about 1/2 a lap in a 5 lap race. He'd probably beat me if he was riding an RM85.

I still remember the article from one of the MX mags where former MX pro Ryan Hughes raced against one of the B class writers for the mag.

The B class guy was on a 450. Ryan beat him every time they raced, even though Ryan was on the following bikes:

250f

DRZ125 trail bike.

The only way the B rider beat Ryan was when Ryan got on a bicycle.

The biggest difference I notice on my (new to me) 03 YZ350f is that it is rather easier for me to go faster (don't have to work as hard to keep it "on the pipe" and wheel spin is much less of an issue) - IF I want to go faster. The question then becomes:

At age 37, do I really want to be going faster than I am? Do I really want to jump 80 feet instead of 60? Am I willing to raise the risk of injury?

Thus far the answer has been that I don't want to go a while lot faster - but I'm still getting used to the handling, suspension and the different power delivery.

Ask me again in the spring.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
Thanks and no, i know i wont. It has waaay more power than i could have ever imagined. I think it was a good choice. My friend was giving me crap for getting a 125, but after his first ride, he had no complaints...other than it might kill us. haha. I took it to busco beach in NC today after riding it around the yard on friday and saturday (my trails are all flooded though, it sucks) had a lot of fun on the little FMX track they have, accidently got to much air many of times... overall, its a great bike. Hit the powerband coming out of muddy berms a couple of times, but, as i get used to the clutch work, i'll get over that pretty quick (hopefully).

All was well until i decided to try a mud pit without testing the depth first (see 2 stroke discussion "mud pit disaster" lol.) but im sure i'll have her ready by next weekend. Gonna go play on the MX track out there, and stay out of the trails and mud for a while =P

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom