FUNDRAISER!
We need to cover DirtRider's expences
for the next year.
Every little bit helps!

2009 KTM 250XC-F Problem

Hi,

I had the extact thing happen with my street bike and it turned out to be a blow back valve and o rings in the petcock. After a while of riding the o ring and valve affected the vacuum and fuel starvation would occur. Actually some fuel would flow but not enough to satisfy the engine. Opening the chock slightly would allow more fuel directly into the cyclinders and keep it running.
Now I also had this happen to my two stroke bike as well and it turned out to be an intermittent connection in the CDI caused by heat and vibration. Very same circumstances that you describe. I checked all the fuel circuits and carb ( dealer looked at carb as well but they had no clue). Start by checking all the obvious things including replacing the caps and check timing and spark as soon as the bike falters. Then check the stator coil pickup and source if all are within spec. This will help determine if there is a problem with the CDI

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

I finally got in touch with the owner of the bike and asked what the dealer came up with on the bike. The dealer told him that they replaced the carb with a brand new one and also replaced the head pipe with a new one. They then jetted the carb and told him it was ready to pick it up. He picked the bike up and took it for a test ride and did the same thing. Dropped it back off at the dealer and told him it was doing the same thing. The dealer kept it a few days called for him to come pick it up and said “had to adjust the carb” He says it’s been running fine ever since.
It just seems strange to me that the dealer would have such a hard getting 2 brand new carbs to run. (The one that came with the bike and the replacement). I have to wonder if the dealer is telling the full story.
Yeah, that doesn't add up. But what would they be trying to hide?