Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Stats: 180 lbs. mid pack Vet racer coming off an 05 RMZ 450 with Pro Works suspension, high compression piston and White Brothers slip on exhaust.

I rode both Saturday and Sunday at two different tracks, putting 1.0 hour on the bike Saturday and 1.4 hours on the bike on Sunday.

Track conditions:
Saturday – Moist, tacky some mud and lots of ruts.
Sunday - Track prep was a 5 on a scale of 1 – 10 with the track drying out and lots of large dirt clods from too much tilling and not enough water.

Motor: In a nut shell, you twist the throttle and the big KX leaps forward with no hesitation, stumble or qualms about what it should do. There is a lot of torque with the overall power being a solid curve right up the RPM range. Someone else reported 2nd gear is awesome and I concur. This is a fun motor to ride. First start of the day takes 4 or 5 kicks to start the KX. The rest of the day was a 1 or 2 kick affair. I even tipped over in a slow tight right hand corner on Sunday. Picked the bike back up and it started 1st kick.

Suspension: I checked all clickers to ensure they were at the factory settings. The left compression setting on the forks was off by one. I’ve not check sag yet and with only 2 hours on the bike, the suspension is not broke in fully. As an overall statement, the suspension felt good, didn’t do anything funny and has good promise with more break-in and some spinning of the dials and setting the sag.

Handling: Coming off a RMZ I’m used to a bike that turns and this was my area of most concern. The KX does turn good and felt more planted Saturday verses Sunday, but this is due to track conditions and the stock front tire. Sunday was moist and tacky and the bike turned very good. Inside, outside, were ever I wanted and felt more settled then the RMZ. In comparison, Sunday I struggled with my turns. Track conditions were dry, loose and few ruts with this track being much faster with more and larger obstacles. The front tire wanted to wash out and I didn’t feel the same confidence I had on Saturday. Part of this could be that I’ve not set the sag yet and 90% of the track conditions I ride, the stock front tire is not the correct type. This will be settled with proper set up, a new tire and additional break in time with the suspension.

Odds & Ends:

• I don’t care for the stock handlebars as they are slightly narrower then the bars I had on the RMZ and look to have less pull back. I need to figure out what the stock RMZ bend is so I can order a set for the KX. Unfortunately the RMZ had fat bars, so I can’t swap them out. I do like the stock grips which is a shocker.
• Front brake, what a beast, very strong. Back brake is strong too and felt very progressive in its nature.
• Why did Kawasaki use a 10 mm bolt for the seat and an 8 mm for the side covers? No reason why the seat bolts shouldn’t be 8 mm like the side covers.
• Owner’s manual, good information, but lacks information to rebuild the motor yourself. I guess you have to purchase the “shop manual” which is BS.
• I lost the two bottom rear fender bolts on Sunday, this after even checking both of them Saturday night.
• On Sunday the track I rode has a fast whoop section that I was hitting faster then I ever did on the RMZ. With less then two hours on the KX I was jumping into the 3 whoop were on the RMZ I would only jump into the 2nd whoop going into the section.
• Again on Sunday, there is a table top out of a left hand corner that on the RMZ I always came about 5 or 6 feet short of clearing. On the KX, I was clearing it by the fourth lap due to the insane throttle response.

Overall with 2.4 hours on the bike, I’m very happy with my decision and can't wait to go riding again on Saturday! :)

Hard on the brakes or hard on the gas

Sawblade

B

biglou

Nice write-up Timmay! Chili will love this. Maybe one of these days I can post my new bike write-up, lol!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Nice write up, the RMZ's come with RC bend Renthals or at least LazyBoy's 07 RMZ 250 did. I broke in LazyBoy's 09 KX250F at the Wardys ride and had several bolts that I had already gone over come loose in the first few hours, almost lost the left case guard because of it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Another thought on the manual situation. The owners manual Kawi gives is very lacking compared to the one you get with Zooks, that being said it always irked me that I could not buy a service manual for our last three Zooks 03 and 05 RM125 and 07 RMZ250 as our dealer said the manual we got with the bike was as good as it gets. I have the service manual for the 09 KX250F and it is far more in depth than the Zook owners manual in my opinion.

Guess you and I need new avatars!

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
Enjoyed reading the ride report. I am new to all the dirt bike riding. I just bought a used CRF 450R for my first bike. Awesome pull and power!!! Sounds like all the 450 four strokes are going to be like this.

You mention the tires and turning. I haven't searched much in this area due to my tires being so new. What is a good tire for trail and track use? Right now I am learning to corner and ride with what I have. I dialed the suspension to two clicks softer than stock for now and set the race sag. Learning the beast yet, but I can see tires can make the difference later.

Any knowledge is good from peoples experiences....

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Hey Lou, you need to head down to SW MO and ride some weekend with us at Elk River MX which is just North of Noel, MO on Hwy 59. I took a hard look at the Honda, but felt the KX was the way to go for me. Besides, the RMZ died a violent death. I needed a new Christmas tree... wait a minute wrong story. I was in the market, the rod going through the case of the RMZ made my decision for me.

Chili - I hear you on the manual. Its good information, but it could be so much more. Yeah, looks like we both need to change the old avatars, LOL!

youngnbald - I would suggest doing some research on the different types of tires for the type of terrian you are riding on. Ask local riders in you area or go to the shop and see what the are carrying. There's no real right or wrong answer as this topic is so subjective.

B

biglou

Tim-I will do that this winter for sure. And we'll have to plan another Nocona trip over Christmas break maybe, if Gene is up for it.

And by the way, I got the phone call last night! I pick her up Friday after work! :yeehaw:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
biglou said:
Tim-I will do that this winter for sure. And we'll have to plan another Nocona trip over Christmas break maybe, if Gene is up for it.

And by the way, I got the phone call last night! I pick her up Friday after work! :yeehaw:

Very cool! :cool:

B

biglou

Nice. It will prolly be dark before I get home tomorrow, but I will get tons of hi-res pics taken this weekend.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Number plate backgrounds arrived today from Dirt Digits. I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow and will spend the day in the garage starting the transformation of the big KX into my personal steed. :nod:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like your sleeping with a new mistress!

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
BSWIFT said:
Sounds like your sleeping with a new mistress!

Yeah, its bitter sweat. The RMZ sets in the corner of the garage broken and bleeding. :ohmy:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Updated pictures with the new number plate backgrounds, protaper bars, grips and DID ERT chain.

Last edited:
B

biglou

Lookin good, Timmay! I love the black rims. Try not to whoop my fat arse too bad when we head down to ride! :)

Top Bottom