VJVentrella

May 15, 2010
So i got a 2010 yz125 about a month ago and im still not sure who to believe in terms of the oil and gas mixture. Note, this is my first time riding a 2-stroke. Right now i am running 40:1 with yamalube oil. The manual says, 32:1 and one dealership told me 50:1 and another told me 40:1. The bike smokes quite a bit on start up then kinda dies down once i start warming it up and riding it. Any ideas on what i should do. This is a brand new bike so i want it to last me as long as possible and i would like to keep it in the best of shape.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
32:1...........new tranny oil after every weekend of riding at least. clean and reoil air filter after every weekend of riding at least also

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah brand new I would go with the manual to keep the 3 month warranty or do the race bikes not have any warranty..never had a new one before...

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
don't sweat it and its really not about the smoke, mix it 32:1 like the manual says it takes many engineers to agree as to what to put in the manual also don't listen to guys at dealerships most like to talk like they know it all. that said when you learn about jetting you can run 40:1 or whatever works for you. its your bike so learn about it by talking with folks with that same bike.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The more oil the better.. Really.. Your engine needs to be lubricated.

That said. 2 strokes smoke. Deal.

You will want to learn about jetting though.

They tend to ship them from the factory jetted a bit rich. They have to. They don't jet each bike for the conditions its going to see when it gets to you, they have no idea where it's going.

So, figure out your conditions, learn what your bike needs and jet accordingly. But, you can be pretty confident that it's most likely jetted way too rich all the way around.

There are many good threads on jetting on here, and even good websites that will guide you.

Make friends with a fast two stroke rider in your area and get advice from them.

scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
ellandoh said:
32:1...........new tranny oil after every weekend of riding at least. clean and reoil air filter after every weekend of riding at least also

this has been my method, and I have NEVER had to have a cylinder replated or honed. A new ring every 20 hours or so (i do compression tests) and it will last forever.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
And remember, the dealership guys may have never owned a dirtbike in their entire life. Follow the manual. You can't go wrong at 32:1.

Jan 2, 2019
So i got a 2010 yz125 about a month ago and im still not sure who to believe in terms of the oil and gas mixture. Note, this is my first time riding a 2-stroke. Right now i am running 40:1 with yamalube oil. The manual says, 32:1 and one dealership told me 50:1 and another told me 40:1. The bike smokes quite a bit on start up then kinda dies down once i start warming it up and riding it. Any ideas on what i should do. This is a brand new bike so i want it to last me as long as possible and i would like to keep it in the best of shape.
go with what your manual says I run 32:1 in my 125, if your bike dies down play with your air mixture screw and idle screw

Top Bottom