MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
Ok guys, just made the change from 2strokes to finally jumping onto a 2011kx250f. Trying to get ready for this season.

I purchased the bike at the end of last season from a dealer as a demo bike. It had 5 hrs on it. I put about another ten on it last season. The only maintenance I've done to it is cleaning the air filter. I know I should be doing oil changes, and some our saying valve work is needed on these bikes. I'm wondering how often I should be doing these things. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Opinions will very pretty widely, but other than the basic maintenance that comes with any MX bike (chain adjustment, clean air filters, etc) a few things are absolute with a high-rpm four-stroke like this.

- change the oil and filter every couple of hard rides
- check the valve clearance every 5-10 hours, when the clearance starts moving it's usually a sign that it's time to open it up and inspect the valves, springs and seats
- clean the carb vents every couple of rides
- put an hour meter on the bike and use it along with the factory service intervals to help determine crank and rod life

The factory manual has a very good service interval chart that is worth the time to get familiar with.

Top Bottom