2014 ORV stickers going up! ~ $36.25, but there's also a $16.25 & $26.25 option.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
So I just found out that our ORV stickers are going up from $16.25 to $36.25, guess the CCC finally got what they wanted. :whoa:

In the mean time there's 2 other stickers that we need to know about:

1. $16.25 ~ yup, it's still out there but only if you plan on riding in open riding areas like Silver Lake or the Mounds.
2. $26.25 ~ these will make you legal to ride the side (but NOT the shoulder) of roads designated open to ORV's. So if your on a "legal" asphalt or gravel road, but your riding on the gravel shoulder or grass shoulder ~ that's a ticket. Check with the county that you plan on riding in, but for now if your in West Michigan you need to be in or north of Mason or Lake county. Try this in Kent, Muskegon, Newaygo or Ottawa and you will be ticketed. Please note that the max speed limit for an ORV on these roads is 25mph, less if it's posted.

3. $36.25 ~ this will cover you for all of the above areas plus the single track ORV's. If you get stopped on a single track ORV trail with a $16.25 or $26.25 sticker you better be a smooth talker, otherwise it's a ticket ($125 ~ I think).

Golf carts are still illegal on all ORV trails and really are not legal on roads that are ok for ORV's (even at the reduced speed of less than 25mph).

Any questions???

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Haven't been riding trails for a few years. My background was the UP where you could ride any 2track, or orv. Then I moved to Muskegon and found you could only ride orv trails. I only had a non-registered (off road) dirtbike so I could not ride trails that were for "road registered bikes". I guess I need to get the latest regs to see what's new? Does the new 36.25 tag allow any dirtbike to ride up shoulders to access trails? What about 2tracks?

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Becareful!

In Muskegon County with a bike that only has a ORV sticker you cannot legally ride the shoulder of any road or down any two track in an effort to get to an ORV trail like Cedar Creek. Farther north in Lake County (Baldwin area) you can, but you need to know what roads a legal. Personally I do not know which ones are, however, M-37 & M-20 never were so stay away from those no matter what. "Yes" there are a couple of trails that cross those roads, and at that point you can legally ride "across" them, just do not try to follow them.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
CCC = MCCCT Trails = $36.25, no matter what your riding.

If you have a street legal (i.e. "plated" dirt bike), you still have to have a $36.25 ORV sticker to legally the ORV trails. If you are just dual sporting it on fire roads and two tracks then you do not need to buy an ORV sticker.

ORV trails = $36.25

Fire roads & gravel roads on a plated motorcycle = $0 (free)

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Let me clear some misconceptions up here!

The is NO $16.25 sticker anymore!

The $26.25 License is the "Base" license, you MUST have this one to be legal for riding the open county roads (check with the county your riding to ensure your doing so properly as counties differ). Public 240 now extends to the Entire State but not all counties have opted in! Again Check with the county you are going to be riding in to know the LAWS!

The additional $10.00 "Permit" is to allow you to ride the States Designated Trail System (which includes State ORV Parks such as Silver Lake).

Even if your Motorcycle is Sec. Of State Licensed you will need BOTH License ($26.25) and Permit ($10.00) to ride ANY of the States ORV system, this includes Motorcycle Only trail "24 (single track), or "50 ATV trail.
Exception is ORV Route if it is a legal road.

Any questions can be directed to me At tdunn976@yahoo.com or your local DNR.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Frequently asked Questions are now on the DNR website under the ORV section, should answer most questions on the new permits and Sec. Of State Licensed motorcycles.

Top Bottom