valmeida

Jun 7, 2009
I just got back into the trail riding and i purchased a 98 KDX 200. it has the FMF phatty pipe and silencer and I was happy with it, but this last week my friend bougt a 99 that was converted to a 220 and it screams! Now I am considering doing the same thing. I have a couple questions; (1) does a 220 make that much of a difference or is it that my bike is just tired? Should I do the 220 upgrade? (2)if i do the conversion will i have to buy a new pipe? I have read that the phatty pipe is not recomended for the 220's

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
fmf fatty? I think phatty is reserved for other circles. By converting to 220 do you mean installing a 220 jug and piston on the 200? I know of a 225 and 240 BB kit for the 200, but no 220 kit aside from using kdx220 parts.

In general, the 200 is a bit faster, while the 220 has more on the low end and doesn't rev out as much. I would expect more of the same from the big bore kits. My vote would be to freshen up the top end on your 200. Check the condition of the cylinder, piston, rings, reeds, and then work on jetting. The 200 should be plenty quick.

valmeida

Jun 7, 2009
julien_d said:
fmf fatty? I think phatty is reserved for other circles. By converting to 220 do you mean installing a 220 jug and piston on the 200? I know of a 225 and 240 BB kit for the 200, but no 220 kit aside from using kdx220 parts.

In general, the 200 is a bit faster, while the 220 has more on the low end and doesn't rev out as much. I would expect more of the same from the big bore kits. My vote would be to freshen up the top end on your 200. Check the condition of the cylinder, piston, rings, reeds, and then work on jetting. The 200 should be plenty quick.[/QUOTE

Sorry my bad! I have the FMF Gnarly torque pipe. Thanks for the reply. If you send the cylinder to FRP, they will bore it out and install a 220 Piston.

Mark Clay

Feb 21, 2003
I would go to Eric Gorr and get him to set you up with :yikes: a big bore 225 kit, Mo Better. Thats what I did when my 200 needed rebuilding and you will be very happy and smoke his 220.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Eric told me the 225 Mo Better kit works fine with the stock pipe if thats what you want to leave on there, and works even better with a woods / torque pipe.

Cost wise, you are looking at something like $350+ to just replate and get a new piston, or $500 for a big bore with new piston, so it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to not rebore. Eric also indicated that the big bore kit made for a more reliable replate, as the factory tungsten deposition can penetrate the aluminmum and cause bonding problems. Going to the big bore kit removes enough material to keep this from being a problem.

The piston for the 225 kit is a common size off the shelf Weisco as well, so you aren't putting anything unobtanium in there...

Top Bottom