flying W

Mar 30, 2002
I was thinking about trading my '98 KDX 200 for a 220 when a friend suggested just boring the 200 to 220. Will a bored out 200 be as reliable as a stock 220? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting a stock 220 vs. a bored out 200?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by flying W
I was thinking about trading my '98 KDX 200 for a 220 when a friend suggested just boring the 200 to 220. Will a bored out 200 be as reliable as a stock 220? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to getting a stock 220 vs. a bored out 200?

IMHO - i wouldn't even think of selling your KDX200 for a 220. In fact - if i was in the market for a KDX i would probably look for a KDX200 that needed a little engine work and rebuilf the engine with Eric Gorr's 225 boring & porting. According to Eric - the EG KDX225 which evolves from the KDX200 is prefered over the 220 due to its' initial porting (material available).

My KDX225 has all of the power (down low) of my buddy's KDX220 with more over rev. btw: His KDX220 does still have the PWK 33mm carb while i have the RB-Designs 36mm with divider plate.

Reliable? I've had zero problems - nor have i heard of anyone having any. If someone out there has had reliablility problems i'm sure that they will chime in about now.

I would reccomend giving Eric a call (1-920-356-0741 7am (U.S. CST) to 10pm Monday-Friday.) and talking to him directly about this. He is very accessable and easy to talk to. Hell - he put up with my question upon question prior/during/after my engine work.

Ask him what he did to my bike that made me so happy. :thumb:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The advantages are several.

The port timing of the two bikes is different. The 200 being more aggressive, so if you go the big-bore route, you'll have that advantage still with you.

The 220 33mm carb is money waiting to be spent.

With the EG 225 kit, you get the choice of porting...bottom, top, moh-better everywhere. You wouldn't get that with a 220 of course.

My $.02, I'd prefer a Pro-x piston to a wiseco. Oh well.
***edit***
That's misleading. I understand that Pro-x doesn't make all (if any) of the pistons they have for the 200. Not according to their catalog anyway, and they haven't answered my emails to say otherwise. I just asked them again 'bout that. IF I had the choice, I'd prefer a Pro-x to a Wiseco. How's that?

Kelvin didn't say particularly, but I'll bet his 225 waxes the 220 all the way 'round, too.

How come I don't have one, yet anyway.........that's what I wanna know!

Last edited:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by canyncarvr
...Kelvin didn't say particularly, but I'll bet his 225 waxes the 220 all the way 'round, too....

Yeah - what he said. - WAXES :cool:

OK - a few things that i left out:

I got the Mo' Better Everywhere porting and specifically told Eric that i wanted to run pump gas! Nunt uh - No race gas - nope - ain't goin' to do it.

I run pump gas - but have ran race gas and a 50/50 mixture too. I have good success running pump gas - but man - it ran sweet with that race gas (thanks Old Guy).

Range per tank of fuel has dropped (considerably) going from the 200 to the 225. It seemed like i always burned more fuel than the guys i road with who were on 220's (they blamed my jetting - i liked the way my bike ran). Now i go out and make a run - when i look in the tank i am always surprised at how fast my fuel gets low. I have not calcualted out my miles-per-tank or miles per gallon (yet). I did hit reserve once after about 26 miles - this was at Hatfield-McCoy where i tend to sit in on place (trying to climb a hill) and the bike does not really go anywhere - or it tips over and fuel pours out. :(

How come i did not mention this before??? well it's just one of those things! :confused:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I've ridden KelvinKDX's 225, and he know how I feel about it ;) That bike is flat out awesome I would definately recomend it :)

Top Bottom