220 w/ 35mm carb and FMF torque pipe

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Straight and simple...1997 KDX 220 with torque pipe.....1.Do I need to rejet a 1996 KDX200 35mm carb before I put it on my bike? If so, what are the most likely changes? Twinair filter with no airbox lid are the only other mods.I do not plan to add reeds or anything else at this point.I live near the coast of central California.Yes,I read a bunch of tips in search mode,but could not find this simple combo.I'm sure it's there,I just can't find it.Thanks, Flapwick

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You will need to jet it after you put the carb in, just like you would with any other major change in intake. It would be next to impossible to tell you what jets to put in the carb before you have it mounted on the bike and tested. It may turn out to be very close to what you need, or may need a good bit of alteration.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey Flapwick, If you would have looked a little harder,you would find most everyone recommends a 150 or 155 main jet and 35,40,42,or 45 pilot or slow jet.I sure hope that 1996 KDX200 carb you got off ebay for $40.00 today isn't a piece of poo.Stop bothering these good people who have already answered every question and don't need to speak anymore to anyone ever again about anything. Thank you, Flapwick.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lol, that's funny. There's lots of things that make it different though. Your 220 has a larger cylinder, obviously, so jetting specs for a 200 might not fit the bill. The larger carb is obviously going to allow more air into the cylinder so jetting for a 220 also will be incorrect. I would start somewhere around 155/48 stock needle in mid clip position and do some throttle chops. The carb you get, if stock, is probably 158/48. That's not a bad place to start either...

J.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
After the problems I had with my carb, I don't know that I would buy a used carb. If the carb has been dipped without the jet block removed, it would cause problems and you would never know by looking at it.

But to the OP. I have a similar setup and I am running 150 or 155 depending on the weather and a 40 pilot. But I am also running a CEL needle (clip in the middle). Mine still needs some tweaking, but it is close.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
What is a "CEL needle"? Now that I've asked,I'll go ahead and research the subject until I can confidently blow off people who ask the same question.Thank you very much.....Flapwick has left the building.

Top Bottom