magnaman

May 18, 2006
Everything I read tells me this bike is a money pit? The 220 is what I own and all the mods sound like a moot point. The 200 sounds like the bike I should have bought. The pipes do more and it already has a bigger carb. Why I bought a 220 is beyond me. Bottom line is no matter what I do the bike is still dated suspension and chasis. Right? I read another depressing article on how soft the KDX is and it bottoms out easily and doesn't have enough power. My cranks seals already such trans fluid. I have taken it apart as it burns from about the top line of the sight glass to the bottom of it in 35 miles. Makes for rich mixture and a poor running unit. It is a 2004 and started using trans oil at the six month mark. Right after warranty. Is this machine really good enough to put money into? I wonder if a klx300 could beat it? I don't mean to rank on it, but torque pipe -desert pipe , bigger carb, stiffer forks, do this do that and bottom line my friends crf450r is lighter and could kill my bike with better suspension. Why put a dime into the green dinosaur???? I wait for an answer. Again don't think I hate this bike. I just don't want to put my mortage in refinance state to restore a bike to keep up with todays technology.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
I suppose some will get unlucky and not be happy no matter what, I on the other hand also have an '04 220 and couldn't be happier, got the FMF and Boyesen mods, jetted right and run rings around most of the guys I ride with. Still gotta do the forks but then for me right now it's not a prob.

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
Depending on where you ride, and how you like to ride, the 200/220 kdx might be the perfect bike for you. Many of the things you read are written by people are better served by a true mx race bike or gncc type machine.

Almost every bike out there is modified in some way to make it better for that owner and the type of riding they do.

I recently traded my E2 KDX 200 in on a 05 KTM EXC 200 and while I'm very happy with it, it needs some changes to make it fit me and my riding style. There are some places (certain hills and technical sections) that I now have problems with that my kdx used to pass by without a 2nd thought. This is due to a more (a lot more) explosive power band and stiffer suspension. I have some remedies to try soon, but it will take some effort to get it right for me.

I think this is true of all bikes/riders, it takes some effort to make it fit you.

perhaps the kdx is not the right bike for you, but you will still need to adapt to whatever bike you end up with.

magnaman

May 18, 2006
I have been happy with the bike. The point I am making is that the 200 sounds like a better unit as it gets more out of mods for less. (carb smaller on 220, pipes don't do as much for the 220 as the 200) I kept up with the 450 all day and my friend was amazed. I am shocked the crank seals suck oil already. I am anal about changing fluids and maintenance as I am a mechanic by trade. Fredette says the desert pipe is the one,but everyone says it does not do anything for bottom end. Does Fredette not know his product as I have an e-mail stating it hits from low all the way through and revs higher. My friend put a Gnarly woods and powercore 2 on his 2003 220 and noticed little difference. I have to pull on my bars to get a wheelie where on bikes like a wr250 I just throttle and get the same result. I weigh alot at 165 I know, but to get the front wheel up without assistance would be nice.

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
I weight 195 w\o gear and unless the engine is luging i have no problem doing a wheelie in 1,2 and 3rd gear. All I have is a PC pipe with stock silencer and jetting.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
magnaman said:
Everything I read tells me this bike is a money pit? The 220 is what I own and all the mods sound like a moot point. The 200 sounds like the bike I should have bought. The pipes do more and it already has a bigger carb. Why I bought a 220 is beyond me. Bottom line is no matter what I do the bike is still dated suspension and chasis. Right? I read another depressing article on how soft the KDX is and it bottoms out easily and doesn't have enough power. My cranks seals already such trans fluid. I have taken it apart as it burns from about the top line of the sight glass to the bottom of it in 35 miles. Makes for rich mixture and a poor running unit. It is a 2004 and started using trans oil at the six month mark. Right after warranty. Is this machine really good enough to put money into? I wonder if a klx300 could beat it? I don't mean to rank on it, but torque pipe -desert pipe , bigger carb, stiffer forks, do this do that and bottom line my friends crf450r is lighter and could kill my bike with better suspension. Why put a dime into the green dinosaur???? I wait for an answer. Again don't think I hate this bike. I just don't want to put my mortage in refinance state to restore a bike to keep up with todays technology.
YOUR KIDDING RIGHT? Spend 10 g's on the Service Honda 500 and blow them all away. FWIW I'm 200lbs shy and can loft the front easily
in 1-3 with a crack of the throttle (less than 500 bucks in mods.) Bullet proof reliability is the 200/220's claim to fame, I'm a believer. Run 40 wgt. oil with no friction modifiers as the manual suggests not tranny fluid and maybe your seals wont leak and your clutch wont slip giving you the illusion of poor performance.

magnaman

May 18, 2006
First off my bike is not the only KDX I have ever ridden. Second if I disliked the bike so much I wouldn't waste time here as there are plenty of options to choose from and many people who want to finance me for those $10,000 450's. I want to keep the bike so I am looking for insight. Fredette does not know his product? I know you are kidding right?(dhoward) I looked for dhoward in the magazines and all I came up with was Fredette for his riding ability and technical support of the green machine. I am not trying to wage war here. So lets get back to my tech issue the torque pipe puts more on the bottom??? I thought that was why I bought this 220 for more on bottom. But if I get a desert pipe I lose the bottom, and gain a couple of rpm on top. Again, I still am behind the 200 because I have been blessed with a small carb. Sweet! So the 200 has an advantage from the start and it costs less. Now for the trans fluid issue. I did not run 40w in there and did run trans fluid which according to kawasaki won't hurt a thing. Ridejunky do you know something they don't. I am not slipping on my clutches and it is 85w trans fluid for two stroke engines. I checked the bottle and it says it in English. Is Bel-ray gear saver bad too. I have used a little trans fluid from the start with this unit and my local dealers checked it while under warranty and said,"All is Good!". Only difference is 3 years later the thing uses enough where I decided to split the case to repair it. I have two other friends with 2003 220's and one is piped and I did not feel a huge difference with the torque pipe on it.
Thanks for all the info you guys have given.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
The smaller carb on the 220 is a round about way of achieving more torque which I will not waste my time explaining to you(do a search). The 220 doesn't loose torque on the bottom with the desert, it gains mid and top (If for some reason you need more torque than the stock 220 offers, go 4t). The bottom line is there isn't alot of difference between the 2 bikes stock. Both respond extremely well to minor mods, but the results vary. Sorry there's not a one size fits all approach. Define your goals, do some research, then mod your bike. BTW a pipe without a re-jet is total compromise.

iamthecowboy

May 23, 2007
I have a 92KDX 200 and an 04 CRF250x and the difference is unbelievable. The 250 is SO much nicer than the 200 (even though the 200 is in near perfect condition mechanically). Updated brakes and suspension on the Honda. Maybe it is time for a 4 stroke for you. Remember, lots more parts in a 4 stroke and if they are not maintained, they will break BIG on you! Good luck.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
The 220 is MORE RESPONSIVE TO MODS. I have my Carb & Head RB'd, a REV PIPE/TBC2 Silencer & DF3. The bike has not let me down regarding power. I will take low-end over top end any day. Get your motor squared away & working properly. If yours is sucking oil through seals then there is a problem & time for a re-build.

magnaman

May 18, 2006
I understand why the small carb is in there. The carb is one reason as to why there is low end torque. I have done research on mods and my engine is sitting on my bench with the top end off and I am getting ready to split the case to repair the crank seals. (As soon as I get time.) I just keep reading about the pipes and machine work and wondered how much would I sink in to it and will it be as good as say a wr250 due to suspension and high torque and revs in a four stroke. When you read anything all you see is goodbye to the two stroke. Marketing or reality of better performance out of the four stroke? Opinion or fact? From what I see and have read it looks like fact as in a two stroke KDX it looks like you tune and mod for torque or top end, but are delusional if one thinks they get both like a modern high dolar four stroke. I really don't think a four stroke costs that much more off the floor either. I paid $2000 for a KFX80 for my daughter and that is a kids quad that will get outgrown. Thanks again for the info.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
In my experience the 220 is a solid novice trail bike, but they are money pits. I added most of the mods to my 220. if I had it to do over I would have bought a 2002 YZ250, added a torque pipe and a flywheel weight and its done.

With a stock 220 you have to fix the suspension, the carb, porting, squish band, new reeds, add a pipe, and the list can go on and on.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Only thing i miss is the soft seat LOL. Went to a 03 YZ250 with minimum mods and I love it. You can give me all this, put a super dooper carb on it, get billy bob to do head work, use this pipe, use a whole quart of oil instead of 750ml and it will go faster, use a kx250 front end and you can jump space ships crap but the bottom line is even in the trails, swamps, mudholes etc, my yz250 makes a joke of the kdx. Thats why i passed it down to my son LOL. HAHAHAHAHA.

magnaman

May 18, 2006
If I sold the 220 I would not buy a 200. Suspension would still be an issue as is the what pipe to get what result and on, and on.

magnaman

May 18, 2006
ridejunky, That has to be the best all around bike out there in my opinion. If I sold my 220 that would be high on the list.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
I ride one from time to time and I agree it's good but with the kids bikes(hondas) karate, boating and water-skiing, snowmobiling, snow boarding and fishing my budget is stretched, and I'm still pretty good on the KDX

magnaman

May 18, 2006
I feel your pain! One more reason I am trying to decide what mods to do to the KDX. Along with the fact my daughter says I have to stay on team green with her.(kfx80)

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
The KTM is a great machine, just on the pricey side. Some of the top riders on the enduro circuit are riding YZ250's and RM250's. These bikes have hardly changed over the past 5 years - unlike the four strokes.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
magnaman said:
I feel your pain! One more reason I am trying to decide what mods to do to the KDX. Along with the fact my daughter says I have to stay on team green with her.(kfx80)
I suggest trying one thing at a time. For example, put in heavier springs and play around with oil level and wieghts in the forks before removing shims etc. ( less than 100 bucks, huge difference) Keep engine mods simple. If your bike is mechanically sound a pipe and re-jet will really wake it up.

magnaman

May 18, 2006
Thanks ridejunky! I will look into trying what you recomended. I got a little deeper into my motor and am at the point of splitting my case after removing clutch basket, flywheel, main gear, etc. last night so I can get those crank seals replaced.

Top Bottom