220with desert pipe. is it usable on the trail

Jul 25, 2005
I am going to buy a fmf pipe and want to know is it possible to use the desert pipe on the trail and still have plenty of low end. I plan to rejet use a torque ring and add boyesen reeds with the air box mod. anything would be great

Aflica

May 23, 2004
one word for ya "YES" , its still got great bottom, i used to have the woods pipe....hated it and went for the desert...love it

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have a Pc pipe, with stock gearing. And my friends joke abouit never hearing a 2 stroke being luged at such a low rpm.

Jul 25, 2005
thanks guys but I want to know will it be okay to ride it on tight technical trails or will I get thrown off the bike or worse go off the cliff.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
It's no problem. The bike is still plenty smooth. There is no abrupt power surge or anything. All I ride is tight really technical stuff up here in Oregon. Just take my word for it, the rev pipe works good.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
A whole lot depends on the needle choice and its position. If you install a lean needle or are otherwise lean just off of idle the bike can be quite a handfull with a whole lot of instant HP. I had to install steahly's 10oz flywheel weight to tame mine with the rev pipe.[I've a number of other engine mods which all add up to be pretty wicked everywhere in the powerband]If i'm riding really technical/loose stuff I'll also richen up with the airscrew just to soften the hit. Pro Circuits spark arrester further adds 2 or 3 HP.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You'll be very happy with the rev pipe on your 220 even in tight nasty trails on the island and will certainly see an improvement over stock from the bottom through to the top end. Don't be fooled by the term "rev" as your KDX220 will still have plenty of controllable bottom end grunt regardless or which pipe you use. The biggest difference is that on the 220 the rev pipe noticeably extends how long the engine will make power at higher rpms with slightly more hit after the kips valves open at 6000rpm over the torque pipe.

David

Top Bottom