240 PSI. Will it need race gas?

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
Im looking at a used '99 yz 250 and the owner said he had a high compression head put on and that compression was 240Psi. i was just wondering if that will wear down the piston faster and if i would need to run race gas? he said he has never done a top end and that he just used it for trail riding. it has a pro circuit pipe and silencer..if that makes a difference for race gas.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There is a good chance you'll require octane that is higher than you can get at the local gas station.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
would adding octane booster help me instead of switching to race gas? i dont race and i dont want to spend alot of money on race gas.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
You shouldn't be using a whole lot of gas, compared to a race car.... Sure it's 5x the cost, but you are not using that much gas.... Race gas is more consistant, wich is a bigger part of why people use it instead of pump gas....

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
240 psi wow! Thats almost 17:1 before what the pipe adds..Sounds like you need deisel fuel!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by toalco-kdx
would adding octane booster help me instead of switching to race gas? i dont race and i dont want to spend alot of money on race gas.

Octane booster might help but it usually isn't a cost effective solution in the long run.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
what about if i added an extra head gasket, how much would that lower compression? i dont mind if i would have to run race gas but since im not racing it wouldnt matter if i lost a bit of power by lowering compression. how much is normal compression on a 250 anyway?

Kornholio

Jul 11, 2001
I wouldnt add an extra head gasket, instead increase the thickness of the base gaskets, but Im not sure how much you will be able to lower the compression by. Why not just pay out for race gas, your bike will run better and you can be sure of the quality of the fuel. After all is doesnt take a lot of it really to filly your tank.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Does he have the orig. head? If so ask if he'll give it to you with the bike.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
wouldnt adding a base gasket raise the ports and affect something there? i dont know alot about port timing but i know it raises the ports. what would be wrong about adding a head gasket?

no, im pretty sure the bike was delivered with the high compression head.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…