hb22man

Jul 7, 2007
ok guys i need some help. i am lookin at getting a bike and do not want to buy something to small (so im thinkin a 250 2 stroke). i do not have experience on many dirtbikes, i am not super familiar with the clutch and gears but i know i could learn. The reason im considering a 250 2 stroke (rm, kx, yz, cr 250) is because im 6 foot and 225 pounds. i know a 125 would get me by, but im told by experienced riders i would get bored quick, once i learned gears. i would not be a super agressive rider, but once i learn my limits it wold be nice to have power. ive ridden quads and snowmobiles since i was around 8-9 (im 16 now) and have lots of experience on those so im confident i can handle a bike. i have alot of friends who ride dirtbikes, some alot older and some younger so i can get any help i need with the bike. now, what do you guys think with the info i gave you? is a 250 too much bike at this moment? and btw i dont want a 4 stroke, thanks for any help you guys can give me!

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
250 is right for your size, but you would be surprised at the power some of the newer 125's have. If you ran quads you should have some experiance with gears. I have a Honda 250 am 150lbs and 5' 10''. It has plenty of power, low maintanance, overall a fun bike, may be a little harder to start on but there are some great TRAINING DRILLS posted in this forum if you use the search tab they will pop right up. Why are you not interested in 4 strokes?

hb22man

Jul 7, 2007
well, it seems to me that newer four strokes are more exspensive than 2 strokes (older two strokes compared to newer four stroke if ya know what i mean.) im on a budget so its hard to consider everything so i think ill stick with 2 stroke 250. thanks very much for that help, amy thing else to consider?

crf230ripper

Jun 22, 2007
hb22man said:
well, it seems to me that newer four strokes are more exspensive than 2 strokes (older two strokes compared to newer four stroke if ya know what i mean.) im on a budget so its hard to consider everything so i think ill stick with 2 stroke 250. thanks very much for that help, amy thing else to consider?

Coming from someone who has ridden both 2 and four strokes, take it from me, four strokes are definitely easier to learn on then 2 strokes. Less stalling, not having to stay on the gas so much and not having to worry about the power band kicking in and throwing you from the bike haha....Anyway, just my opinion but I think 4 strokes are easier to learn because the power is always there , and you decide how much to give based on throttle. I am somewhat of a new rider, and started practicing on my buddies 2006 rm125 2 stroker, and ended up buying a 2007 CRF230 4 stroke. His 125 is tempermental as far as having to stay on the gas to prevent bog, and when stopped having to continue to rev the bike so as to not stall it. On my 230....i just stop , let it idle, and when im ready to go...pop it in first and bounce. Anyway you get the idea. Now these are 2 completely different style bikes, however all 2 strokes are pretty much like i described, and for someone just learning a four stroke is a better choice.....2 strokes are just meant to go fast. So are four strokes, but they give you the option of slowing down without problems. Also 4 strokes are less maintenence,but usually more expensive to fix, having said that there is usually not a top end rebuild every year like with 2 strokes. Anyway Im 5'9 215 and my CRF 230 is a good size/power for me (after i uncorked and rejetted) My next bike will probably be a CR250 four stroke....either the R or X. All my buddies that are really sick riders and have big bikes have 4 strokes. Take it for what its worth, you'll get a million opinions up here on the 4 vs 2 subject...Just my 2cents....or was that 3??

Doug

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
More like 3. Good points on both types, I prefer 2 strokes my self and could list close to the same amount of reasones why you should go for a 2 rather than a 4, but like ripper said that is a topic that has been beat to death here.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
CRF230ripper, while some of your points are valid, there are a few holes which I feel should be mentioned. First, you seem to be basing you 4-stroke knowledge on the 230F, which is virtually zero maintenance, but when you move to a CRF250R, you WILL find a huge increase in maintenance. It's the nature of any high performance engine. Also, the OP has expressed an interest in a 250 and not a 125, they are different animals as well. The bigger engines have much better bottom end torque, and can be lugged around more. Also, the big bore bikes seem to require a little less maintenance than the virtually extinct 125's. For a rider on a budget, a 250 smoker is probably the way to go, especially if that rider is over 180lbs.

To the OP, don't be mistaken, a properly tuned 250 2-stroke will give you whiplash if you twist the grip too hard, so don't be stupid if you get one. Research the engines and try to find something with a broad smooth powerband. Don't worry so much about top end power.

May 10, 2007
yea a 250 will be big when you get it but you will learn. a 125 only really has power in the topend while the 250 has it all around.

to smooth powerband you might wanna try a heavier flywheel

Top Bottom