Baja4x4

Jan 19, 2006
With my limited budget of $2000 I can afford a 125 or a 250 2 stroke. I basically have no experience. Will the 250 be too much bike to learn on? BTW, there are rarely if ever KDX's for sale around here so thats not an option and I need a bike within the next 2 weeks.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5' 10" 180 lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I like to have fun and I want to be able to hang with friends(they mostly ride 4 stroke 400's, 426's, and 450's) but I have nothing to prove.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I live in S. Cal so I'll be riding mostly desert with some fireroads and trails locally mixed in.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Not in the last 15-18 years (I'm 28 now)
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes and yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No pref. on brand. Most guys I know ride 4 strokes and they are pushing me in that direction but I'd concider a 2 stroke as well.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Lots of dealers and most brands but I'm looking for used.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
$2,000
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.
I desert race in an SUV class (class 3 for those that care) right now. I'd like to have something that I can prerun the courses with. I mountain bike on a regular basis and lift weights 3 days a week.

defy

Feb 7, 2006
get the 250 two stroke. you said that you'd be willing to spend $2,000 on a bike, and you can't find anything your size new for $2,000 so you'll have to go back a few years and when you go back a few years and get older models, remember, that's when 2t's dominated and the 4t's of the time weren't as good as they are now (i still like 2t's better today :laugh: ) anyways, a 250 two-t will be good

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
At 5'8" and 200, I am currently learning on a 250 smoker, it's really not that big of a deal. It's fast, but what a blast. Respect the power and you'll be fine.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
At you weight and height, get the 250. I would think if you shop around you could find something nice in the years 2000-2002 for $2000.

I found a 2000 KX 250 for my bro last May for $1500. It was very clean and had nothing wrong with it - but it was a steal.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Get the 250 2-stroke, the throttle goes both ways ! Sounds like you'll be in the open a lot, you will quickly get tired of a 125.

Baja4x4

Jan 19, 2006
Thanks, you guys have been a help. It just seems like so many people are preaching about 4 strokes its hard to remember that a 2 stroke works well also.

-Tim

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Get a 250 and respect the power it has and you'll be fine. FWIW, My first bike was a 426F. I bought it when I was 17, 6'1 150lbs. You just have to respect what the bike can do, and more importantly, what you cant.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Just make sure you also save some $$ for gear... My first dirt bike was a yz250 (10+ years of prior street exp) and I definitely learned things the hard way on it... That power band can definitely get away from you in a hurry...

I'm not saying don't do it... Just take the proper precautions so you don't end up hurting yourself...

Jan 10, 2006
250 is the way to go and 2T is always the way to go. I just got back into mx bikes in Jan and was very rusty. I was running around all out in no time. The only time the power has gotten me into some trouble is when you accidently lay into the throttle at a bad time like landing a large jump. Be very aware when you start jumping. :ohmy:

Top Bottom