deagle

May 21, 2001
SOME HELP PLEASE ON NEW BIKE

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2001 KLX300 with about all the upgrades. Big Gun exhaust, pumper carb, hot start, air box mods, heavier springs in forks, idler gear and shift star fix... My goal when I got back into riding a few years ago was to get a KTM. I am at that point now.
- Is the 250 or 400 exc that much better than my KLX, even after all my upgrades?
- Should I wait for the 2003 models which means 450 instead of 400? And what advantage is there to waiting for the 2003's.
- At 41 years old, 200 pounds and an improving tight woods rider, does anyone recommend the 250 or 400/450 one more than the other. ( I want 4-stroke)
- Finally, other than barkbusters, are there mods that need to be done right away, like on the KLX?
I see the 450's will be about $200 more in 2003. The dealer here has a 400exc on the floor for appx. $6599 and a 250exc for $6299. Unless it is advantagous to wait for the 2003's, it looks like a no brainer. I need that "button" so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I sure wouldn't recommend the 250EXC. Pretty underpowered for that size bike from almost all reports. My local dealer has one but I refused a test ride as I just hadn't heard much good about them.

The KTM 400 will give you better power, less weight, MUCH better suspension and the happy button. I've never ridden a KLX so I'm not sure how the power will differ but I'm sure there'd be more of it with the 400 from what other KLX owners have said in the past.

Wait for the 450EXC? Up to you. I doubt there will be any dramatic difference in power as they just made the engine longer stroke. I've got one of those on reserve so I'll be interested to compare it to my 01 400E. There's also the resale factor of having the 'old' model, if that's important to you.

I'm 44 and getting faster in the woods on my 400. I just love it and, since you're already a 4 stroke guy, I'd bet you will, too.

Normal mods. BB's, skid plate, etc. It comes with a very high quality chain and fat bars. You'll probably want to gear it down a bit for the woods. Go to a 13t CS sprocket from the stock 14 to start with.

deagle

May 21, 2001
Thanks,
By resale value do you mean by having a newer model year it will bring more when I go to sell it? Or is it like a car where it is sometimes advantagous to buy late in the model year so it looks like you have less milage and wear and tear on the older machine.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by deagle
Or is it like a car where it is sometimes advantagous to buy late in the model year so it looks like you have less milage and wear and tear on the older machine.

Nope. Newer model year is practically always better for resale. I'll give you the same advice, don't get the 250. Too heavy for what it is.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Please clarify for me. The 250 EXC that you refer to must be the 4-stroke version. The 250 EXC 2-stroke is a killer bike..

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
If you can get a great deal on the 2002 go for it The ktm RFS's seem to be holding the price well My 2000 520 EXC is sold as soon as my 2003 get's in for 5000.00 and I won't even change the plastic.

You won't be disapointed with a 400 exc have fun and keep us posted.

P.S. Hi Strick

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
deagle,
you should call H&H KTM near Atlanta, before you purchase a 2002 KTM, they offer great prices and they usually ship for free. They have been around for years and have a good reputation. I purchased a 2002 KTM 250 EXC for 5600.00, no tax, free shipping, as an example. I think their website is KTMworld.com, good luck, and BTW the 250 EXC is a great woods machine, and less maintenance than a four stroker, but really personal preferance kind of thing. :cool:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Well, I want to talk about the 250 EXC 4-stroke, since it was mentioned as being underpowered and I am 6'1" and 198 lbs.

If you are comparing it to a 400/520, of course it is. I just sold a 250 F and it does not have the hit of a 250 F, but with the six speed tranny and I have it geared with 13t/front and 52/rear it will tractor right up anything.

I can ride this bike faster through the woods than the 250 F and with no fear of stalling (e-button). It doesn't even seem to stall as much as the Yamaha either. With the 250F, I would tend to get a little tired towards the end of the day. With the KTM I just seem to get faster and faster and never really tire at all. I LOVE this bike!

If you are mostly riding tight woods, how much power do you really need? The KTM 250 4t accelerates out of the corners plenty fast. And where I ride and with my riding partners, none of the KX 250s, XR 400s and WR 426s can keep up with me. My riding skills are decent enough that I can be competitive in Vet A in harescrambles and I ride B class in enduros because I can't ever seem to keep time to well :(

So with that being said, I think you should buy the bike you are comfortable with because it will really come down to the rider and being able to use what you have. Power is sexy, but how much do you really need?

My last bikes in order have been: '01 YZF 250, '00 300 KTM EXC and '99 KX 250 and this has been my favorite. If I still lived back in west Texas, I would prefer a bigger bore 4t or the KTM 300 or KXs that I have previously owned.

Ok.... let the bombing begin! ;)

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
He said in the initial post he wanted a 4 stroke so all my comments were assuming he was talking about the 250EXC four stroker.

Resale comment was just that it may be harder to get rid of a 400 since they'll be replaced by the 450. Maybe not, though. It's not like the Yamaha 400's were boat anchors, resale-wise, after the 426 came out.

sven

Sep 26, 2000
The 250 4 Stroke Is A Great Woods Bike!
It's A Sleeved 400 How Could It Be Bad!
If You Want Desert Power KTM Used To
Make A 550 2 Stroke!!!!Scary!

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I dont think that the 400s are going to be anchors either. In fact, I am not 100% sure that I want a 450. I cant remember a time where I wished for more power than my 400 delivered. I am concerned that a 450 might be too much in the really tight stuff. I wish KTM would make a 300ish RFS that weighed 20lbs lighter than the 400 instead of upping the power on the 400s.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Sven,
It could be bad because the 400 is considered by some as already being too heavy for the motor. A smaller motor in the same bike doesn't sound like the answer to *me*. I'm glad you're happy with it, though.

Scott,
There will be two very different KTM 450's next year. The SX and EXC will use different pistons, heads, carb and rod, at least. The SX should be a quick revving, very powerful bike. The EXC uses the same everything as last year except it will have a longer stroke. The cases might be molded differently too but that shouldn't make any real performance difference. The first report from a spanish owner of the first 03 450EXC that I've heard of says it's still mellow on the bottom so it sounds like KTM really went the extra mile to make everyone happy.

I do understand your hesitation, though. I also love the power of my 400 and am worried that my 03 450E will be a step backwards. Time will tell, I guess.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom