jonnyboy527

May 7, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'8 180

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
pretty agressive but dont want to kill myself either.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
i ride in woods in fields with friends, havent tried tracks yet but plan on trying them a bit this season

4) Do you have any riding experience?
yes, a couple years of trail/field agressive riding on my 150(lol)

5) Do you think you will race ?
i doubt it, but like i said i am interested in trying out some tracks, i hear they are loads of fun.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
im only 16 but can do minor things but major things i would have to get my buddy to help me out (hes a part time mechanic) or take it in to the shop

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
this is what im not sure about

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
im looking for used but yes i do

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
about $2,500-4000 depending on whether or not i get a 4 stroke as to my knowledge they seem to be more expensive. I want to know wether it is worth it to spend the extra money for a 4 stroke for what i do or if i should just go with the 2 stroke.

10) Do you live in California?
no

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
i mostly ride around a huge farm field theres a dirt trail around it with moguls, a couple berms and other fun stuff.

I mostly want opinions on whether or not i should spend the extra money to get a 4 stroke 250 for what i do and also i hear the 250 2 strokes are damn quick. thats all, thanks.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you are used to riding a 150 four stroke then a 250 four stroke would be a big step up for you! It is, however, the minimum engine size that I would recommend for a full size adult male. Note that weight is more important than height as far as engine size goes. Seat height is what matters for your height. Keep in mind that for a given engine size, a two stroke will have almost twice the power as a four stroke.

A lot is going to depend on what it is you really want. Some people love the thrill that the acceleration of a high powered bike can give you. Others enjoy the challenge of riding a smaller engine bike. Still others are quite content with a more tame ride and don't wish to go at break neck speeds.

If you are thinking of riding tracks then I would predict that you would want a more powerful bike. I would recommend a 250 two stroke over the 250 four stroke. You would also want a "MX" bike instead of an "off road" bike.

For just bombing around the farm field just about anything would be fine. If noise is an issue the four strokes are far less annoying. At 5'8" you might prefer a slightly lower seat height than what the typical MX bike would offer. Something like a Yamaha TTR-225 would be a nice "off road" bike for a shorter person. It won't have the suspension of a MX bike but it will do fine around the farm and they cost a lot less than a MX bike.

Rod

jonnyboy527

May 7, 2007
thanks for the advice, i do want something a bit more peppy and fast than a ttr225. I just dont know whether or not im ready for a 2 stroke 250 through, so i was thinking a 250f would be a good alternative im just dreading an engine rebuild on one of those lol. i heard they can be unbelievably expensive on rebuilds and other major problems. One of my main concerns is ive never ridden a 2 stroke before, is that an issue? keep the suggestions coming!

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
i am almost your exact build and age and i will tell you after a while the 250 fourstrokes get a little boring. i would say go for the 2t, it will make you a better rider and overall more fun. look for a used ktm 200 (exc i think) that would do you good.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'm fat, 40 and riding a 125..

It's just plain fun.

The hits pretty nasty, but once you get used to it, it's not such a big deal. I hardly notice it anymore.. The trick is to get in the power quick, and stay there.

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
a 250 2stroke would be a huge step from a 150, a 250 2stroke is around the same power of a 450 thumper. i went from a xr100 to a cr125 with no problems. a cr125 has around the same power as a 250 4stroke but is way lighter. i would probably go to the 250 4stroke if i were you.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
FunkyD said:
a 250 2stroke would be a huge step from a 150, a 250 2stroke is around the same power of a 450 thumper. i went from a xr100 to a cr125 with no problems. a cr125 has around the same power as a 250 4stroke but is way lighter. i would probably go to the 250 4stroke if i were you.

2007 CR125R is 197 lbs dry weight
2007 CRF250R is 204 lbs dry weight

Not exactly way lighter than the 4 stroke.. Unless 7 lbs is a lot to you.

jonnyboy527

May 7, 2007
a 2 stroke 125 would probably be a good speed for me but ive just heard that youve gotta keep them in high rpms because they have extremely low bottom end power. Ive also heard the 250 isnt as bad for that so thats why, but the 2 bikes im looking at right now are the kx250/yz250 the kx250f/yz250f and am kind of considering the kx125/yz125. just because i like the colours lol. i prefer the green kawis the most. keep the suggestions coming theyve been a big help so far.

Top Bottom