EuroGas

Apr 18, 2001
Help me make my mind up !
I have never owned a Enduro bike before (just trials). I am about to buy a new GasGas this week
biggrin.gif
and would appreciate some feedback on which model (250/300 EC)
confused.gif
. My preference is the 300 EC. I will be using it for occasional enduro / supermoto / street use.

Regards

Eurogas.

------------------

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
I've ridden the 250ec (w/XC compression) and the 300XC (w/ EC flywheel) back to back for comparison. The 300 was more linear in power and very strong off the bottom, but felt like it might stall at times at low RPM and didn't rev that high. The 250 had smooth power all the way to redline. The 300 will drag you over more obstacles with it's awesome torque (and you just hang on), whereas the 250 will let you attack obstacles all day long. Stepping off a 125, the 250 felt much better, but I know that with practice I feel more comfortable on big bikes. I still don't know which one I prefer, they're both very good bikes.

------------------

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I rode a 250 last year and upgraded to a 300 this year. They are very similar in power delivery (mine are both euro spec ECs)

The 300 has more power throughout the power range. It is correct that you cannot wind out the 300 like the 250. I personally don't ride like that so it wasn't an issue. The 300 is very smooth and controllable.

As far as the stalling issue, its VERY easy to fix that, all it takes is a non-resistor plug, and a little more idle speed.

I am happy I went with the 300!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Offroadr (edited 04-23-2001).]

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
After struggling with a KTM 300 in tight nasty woods for two years, I went with a GasGas XC250. I went 250 primarily for racing, as I wouldn't get as tired so fast with less power. If I didn't race much and just trail rode, I'd have gotten the 300. I love the 250, but the GG 300 is not the same animal as the KTM 300. A friend has a GG EC 300, and its much smoother than the KTM in the woods. Top end power is about the same, but it has more bottom and mid without a hit. I'm even thinking about converting mine to a 300 after the season is over. You can't go wrong with either, but I'd go with the 300 for more casual use.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

------------------

EuroGas

Apr 18, 2001
Thanks for your comments, i have just ordered the 300ec, should be here next week.
Paid £3800 plus £90 OTR ($5300) how does this price compare to the prices in the States.
I will let you know what i think of the blue rocket next week.

EuroGas

------------------

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
$5300 for a new 300??? Can you drop one in the mail?
smile.gif

Thats cheap!!

------------------

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Originally posted by EuroGas:
My preference is the 300 EC. I will be using it for occasional enduro / supermoto / street use.
Regards
Eurogas.

If insurance and taxes are not an issue nor being in a specific racing class, then I think the 300 would be better overall for the use you describe. The extra ponies and broader powerband will help you put the power down in Supermoto vs. a 250. The extra grunt will also help out around town. Anyone that tells you the 300 will wear you out offroad compared to a 250 has not spent any significant time on both.

Also not sure if you remove the restrictors or not over there, but all else equal, if you have to leave them in then the 300 should give you more power for the riding you'll do.

------------------
TexKDX

Josh Cook

Oct 6, 2000
I guess it cost less to ship a bike from Spain to GB...
I wonder what it would cost to ship from GB to Arkansas.........

------------------

clw

Dec 29, 2000
GlennP:

What is involved with a conversion 250>300? Do you have to change the overall gearing to compensate for the lack of high revs so you won't loose top end?

And, in another post you mentioned you never got used to a KTM. Hey, that's me! After 1/2 season I never could get my '99 exc250 to fall into a turn (Euro feel I guess). Went back to Jap and the big $ to convert to woods mounts. Does a GG turn more like a Jap bike? They seem to come with all the goodies already.

------------------

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
clw,

I'm just starting to research the project now, but so far the top end swap appears easy with no machining neccessary(same 72mm stroke). I'm not sure about the transmission ratios, but the final drive ratio on the 300s is higher than the 250. I don't plan to change the trans ratios. I also suspect the powervalve governer spring is different, but I still have some work to do to be sure. If I do go ahead with the project, the plan is to use a stock EC300 cylinder, head, and powervalve, not bore my 250.

The KTM ergos (250/300) feel too "stretched out" for me. I'm only 5'8", and never felt right standing up on the KTM. The GG feels more compact, and steers very fast with less input. Its without a doubt the better choice for the smaller rider. I guess you could say it handles like a Jap bike with better stability. Good geometry. I talked to Rich Lafferty about this duing his riding school I attended. He is about my size and also loves the GG ergos.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

------------------

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Glenn: I once heard Steve @ Motowest say he he did the 1st 300 overbore as an experiment for GG back when(ever?) U might want to talk to him; he told me the head & jug is diff than the 250 like your findings.

Like U I'm 5'8" & fit the GG cockpit, like most jap M/Cs, way better than the "built-for-the-larger-fella" KTMs (exc. the 125/200s.)

------------------

Josh Cook

Oct 6, 2000
The 250 jug and head are different. The power valve spring is the same.
If you own a 250 that was a late model release- without the counter ballencer,
It should have the "NEW bottom end cases. They are the same as the 300 and a new jug bolts right on.
Anything older will have to have the cases machined for the 300cc piston...

Glen, I guess that means you will just need a few parts.....

Hey Eurogas, do you know what it would cast to ship a bike to the states in a box????
Those $$ in US dollars are crazy low!!!!!

------------------

Top Bottom