m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
as of right now i ride a 1999 cr250r. the bikes is great in riding pits and i like it even in tight trails because of the power it has to go where ever i need it to. but, im thinking of starting practice for racing. im thinking giving it a shot. i feel as though the 250r i have right now maybe a little much for me to control on a track. and i figure i may be more conifdent of a 250 four stroke. but, when im not practicing and riding in the pits climbing hills and what not how will a 250 four stroke compare to my 250 2 stroke i have now. i know 125's will bog down if your running slow and crank on it i dont have that issure with my 250r will a 250 four stroke do that pros and cons will be great. thanks for any help.
-mike

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Alright if you get a 250 two stroke its not going to bog anywhere, and since your just starting to race its your best option, if you get the 450 i wouldn't be suprised that you get your feelings hurt on the track. Those boys are moving,

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I think he's asking between a 250 fourstroke and a 250 two stroke. And he is hesitant about his abilities with a the 250 two on a track and thinks he would be more comfortable with a 250 four, but doesn't want to lose all the fun when he's off the track. I know it says 250 or 450 in the title but he never mentions a 450 in the text but i could be wrong.

I'd suggest going to an open track day with your 250-2 and try it out. It would be really nice if you could find a 250F to ride as well. Maybe someone at the track might let you try theirs or maybe you have a buddy with one. I would think you could would be fine on the bike you have now. They have a C/novice class for a reason. I finished mid-pack in the 125 c-class at my first race with pretty much no track experience. Just hit up a few practice days and maybe ask some other guys what class they race in and see how you compare to them. If you're waiting this late to start racing you aren't going to be the next James Stewart so you must be wanting to do it for fun. You can race, finish dead last, and still have fun. So given that, i'd say if theres nothing wrong with the bike you have now, just keep it.

Bigdogdaddy69

Feb 18, 2008
well id have to say the 250fs are gay, kinda like 125 2 strokes. Id if you plan on getting serious into racing you should get a 450 even tho there a lazy mans bike because it takes no effort to clear jumps with. If your going to do some practices here and there keep your 2 fif.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thanks guys. yea i just dont wanna sell my 250 stroke and lose all the fun in the big open pit if i sell it and get a 250f. im just having a hard time finding a track to ride. i think there only open to guys practicing for the race the following weekend, ill have to check it out. im afraid if i buy a 450f i wont be confident riding because of all the power. idk, thanks again.
-mike

Apr 30, 2007
Keep your 250. Try some time at a track, and then make up your mind. You may very well be a faster and better on this bike than any other, because you have spent more time on it, and are familiar with the handling, power curve, and suspension setup.

The 450F will probably be somewhat comparable to your 2-stroke 250. There will be a huge amount of lower end grunt, but it won't be overpowering in comparison to the one you already ride.

Top Bottom