macsimpalass

Oct 18, 2006
Hello every one i just have a quesion about 250's. I have a 2001 kx 250 and the kid next door has a 2005 rm 125. We went out riding and he wanted to race down a striaght away. At the start i would always get the jump on him about 4 bikes, by third gear he would be passing me up. My question is are the newer 125 that my stronger or is my bike just geting lazy? Help..........

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It could be the bike, but it could be the rider. If you are launching in 1st and he is starting in 2nd, you have to shift sooner. If he can bang through the gears faster than you, it will make a difference. And you might be short shifting your bike and not even realizing it. Holding a gear too log is also a bad thing. My recommendation, learn to launch in 2nd, hold the throttle wide and don't let up to shift (just squeeze the clutch and click it up).

Rootuser

Jul 2, 2006
Sproket Size anyone?

It could be you have your sprokets sized for low range and he has his set for higher or mid range. This would allow him to pull through the mids.

For me, I ride a 125 and honestly, I rarely get in to wide open 6th gear. I go through 5th pretty good for the most part, but essentially I rare "max" the bike out. I have friends on their 250s, their 450 4-strokes etc and I eat their lunch on a 125. Mostly it comes down to the rider in my opinion. You can beat that 125 if you are willing to hold it longer, hit it harder, shift smoother etc assuming your bikes are geared relatively the same.

-- Rootuser

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
macsimpalass said:
Hello every one i just have a quesion about 250's. I have a 2001 kx 250 and the kid next door has a 2005 rm 125. We went out riding and he wanted to race down a striaght away. At the start i would always get the jump on him about 4 bikes, by third gear he would be passing me up. My question is are the newer 125 that my stronger or is my bike just geting lazy? Help..........

When was the last time your 2001 250 had a new top-end put in? It could be tired.

Mavrick70004

Oct 17, 2006
i kno the new 250's are able to hang with the 400's and the 250F's hang with the 125's so you should be able to leave him in the dust but like everyone here said there are many variables if you could give us some specs on your bike? sprocket sizes? octane of gas? etc? we can prob help u show the kid whos boss haha :debil:

Top Bottom