250 yz '02 jetting

flo

Feb 23, 2002
I have a 250 yz '02 with a new top end. I think it runs ok but it develop at the end of the silencer that black unburned oil a little. I buied it in nov.'02 and because it was cold i thought that is normal, but now is a normal temperature outside. I'm riding in forest and hils and some on the track so is low-medium rpm 70% , 30% high rpm. I'm riding at ~2000 ft high most of the time. I don't feel is too rich and the mixture is 30:1. Should i go 40:1 ? Or is it normal because most of the time i ride it in the first half of RPM ? Is it still to rich? Thank you for any answer.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
A little splooge is to be expected if running pump fuel.

If it's real bad in can indicate a rich condition. As the temps warm up it will get worse because the warmer it is the leaner the jetting needs to be. If you switch from 30:1 to 40:1 you will make matters even worse as there will be more fuel (and less oil) per given volume, compounding an already slightly rich mixture.

flo

Feb 23, 2002
Thank you Faded, i will play a little with the jetting.With 40:1 i know i will have more fuel in the same volume of mixture but also less oil so maybe less splooge or should go with 30:1 to be shure not to damage the enginne?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
I ran 40:1 last year, but I'm switching back to 32:1 this year to be more 'engine friendly'. :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…