250cc 2-Stroke low end?

TxCr250

Aug 24, 2006
I have a stock 06 Cr250r and wanted to give it a little more low end for trail riding and some small track riding, I rarely get it to full throtle "wide open", other than in an open field but my question is...What front/rear sprocket size would yield better results? I'm not certain of the stock size but I think it 13/49. So I'm thinking 13/51t or52t. Any one have any thoughts/experience with this and how mucn of an improvement does this yield in the low/mid end of a 205cc 2-stoke? Also include what brand is good, ie Renthal, Tag etc, thanks for your time and opinions.

mark808

Aug 22, 2006
i cant believe you need more bottom end. i have a 96 kx 250 when i first got it i could hardley keep the front wheel down so i went one down on the rear sprocket. now its a lot more controlable and trust me it has no problem getting the front up.i like renthal but only because its what ive used since i was a kid. if you can get the tag cheaper id go with that

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
well renthal doesnt list a smaller front tooth sprocket so try a different one
-moose makes a 12 tooth one its too bad there isnt a 11

WLKDX

Dec 7, 2004
If you are talking pull from idle, less stalling and smoother, the first thing to do is a flywheel weight. On my Husky (which had the same 38MM TMX carb as yours) I swapped to a 36MM Keihin PWK. Starts easier, runs beautiful, nice smooth power, takes some of the mid hit out.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
j32 said:
well renthal doesnt list a smaller front tooth sprocket so try a different one
-moose makes a 12 tooth one its too bad there isnt a 11

Smaller front sprockets are a bad idea. The 13 is definitely as small as you should go on the front.

However, changing gearing won't increase low-end power, it will only make the engine turn a bit more revs for a given ground speed.

I had Eric Gorr do a Mo Betta port job on my 2002 CR250 and it filled in the bottom end power hole quite nicely. Alas, I don't know if Mr. Gorr will be reopening his business so I don't know where to point you right now.

A flywheel weight will also help with stalling and in tight situations, but the porting was the biggest positive change.

Dec 11, 2004
i agree with mtk completly. gearing wont affect the way the power gets down. try a flywheel weight to smooth out power

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Another problem with gearing it down is that it effectively shortens each gear. The time the engine is in the meat of the powerband for a given gear is reduced, therefore you don't use the torque of the engine as effectively. As MTK said, The Mo Betta porting does wonders for the powerband. I took it a step further and went with the 265 big bore with the porting on my '02. I had significant gains from the very bottom though the upper midrange. with the top end about the same as stock. I also ran a 12oz. flywheel weight. All of these things combined made for a good, all-around bike that worked well on everything from hillclimbing and tight single track to fire roads and mx tracks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…