Bfaster

Aug 26, 2002
I agree with Lawman, if you like to lug it low in the rpm range 300, If you like hearing it 250. By the way Lawman have pulled the trigger over any good logs lately. I recommend you show up with 20" handlebars in Feb.

D

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Another vote for the 300 here. I also came off a KDX, and after my first jaunt in the woods yesterday on the KTM I must say that it's the best money i've ever spent on a bike. I made it up a hill yesterday that undoubtedly would have left me kicking and cussing that KDX. I even had to stop halfway up to wait for another guy who had fallen. On the KDX, I would have just turned back around and went down to try again. On the KTM, I just cranked her up and went right on up the rest of the way. It really is a fantastic bike in the hilly stuff.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I had two 300s, I never felt they had too much for tight stuff. I really liked the extra low end, but the 250 does feel a bit more flickable. For me the trade off for the power was the right choice.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
My best friend has a 02 300 MXC and I have a 02 250 EXC and I am more comfortable on the 250, at the end of the day ( and I put in some long days) I am less tired on the 250. I also feel the 250 is more flickable. This is coming from a 40 year old vet that is 5-9 200 lbs. If I was bigger or in better shape I might have a different opinion. Also I understand that Alan Randt rides a 250 EXC, and he could ride any of them, talking to Joel at LC he said he was changing to a 250 from a 400 this year. Joel told me that when Alan passes him it doesn't even seem like he's pushing it. However my buddie can smoke my on his 300 all day long!!! But I think he could beat my if he was riding a po-go stick through the woods.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey bfaster: yeah, man, getting used to the 300 after the 200, i have had to buy a bunch of plastic & handlebars. it's a big difference!

your race will be pretty tight, eh? team mempho will be there!

T Genet

Apr 19, 2001
JCV, I previously rode a 01 KDX 220 and bought an 01 300exc later that year. The differencea were unbelievable. Motor was a great improvement, suspension was dramatically better. Also the improvement from a cable clutch to hydraulic clutch is awesome. I ride in Southern IN with a lot of tight woods and lots of mud through the winter and spring. I went to a 13 tooth up front that added a lot of pop out of the 2nd and 3rd gears where I spent most of my time. My only problem with the bike was jetting. I fouled a lot of plugs and I tried various needles, jets and even cutting down my slide. The temp and humidity changes here made jetting that much more difficult. I think my riding style added to the problem. I lugged the bike a lot. When I would race HS' and kept it up on pipe I did not seem to have as much of a problem. If not for the constant jetting problems I would still have it. I now ride an 03 525exc. Good luck with your new bike.

kawakiwi

Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by Bill Hibbs
Hey JCV!! Both bikes are very cool. I'm riding the 300 myself. A question you may want to ask yourself. Did you ever want to add a pipe or silencer to your 250? Were you totally content with the power? If so I'd stick with the 250. If Not, I'd get the 300. I ride mostly in Slippery Souther Ohio and totally use the low end lug of the 300. Tough choice, but there's really not a bad decision. ;)
Hey Bill Im from NZ where it is also very slipery etc. Im tossing up 300 gasgas or 300 exc. My mates who have ridden both say that the exc is far more a beast in the tight stuff?? Can you comment? Cheers

Top Bottom