250EXC to 2003 300EXC would you do it?

Singletrak

Aug 3, 2003
I am thinking up upgrading my 01 250EXC and going to a 03 300EXC, anyone out ther gone from a 250 to the 03 300? If so do you have any regretes? The reason I am thinking of the 300 is because I can get the 300 for a pretty good price. I am unsure how the 300 will handle the real tight "eastern" type single track conditions - rocks, roots, mud, and the real tight stuff. Is the motor too much for the tight stuff and does it tire you out?

Thanks for the help,

Singletrak

Texas4play

Aug 13, 2003
Check out the write up on this at www.dirtrider.com (the magazine). I'm leaning towards the 300exc myself but, I'm in Texas. Read the article(s) should be helpful.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i went from a 250 to a 200 to a 200 to a 300, all ktm exc's (w/a yz250f & 400 exc also in there). i ride tight enduros & scrambles--sera & bjec. i have no regrets; i am sticking with the 300.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Lawman - What *didn't* you like about the 200 EXCs? How tall are you, and what do you weigh? When you say tight, are you talking 1st-2nd type stuff?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
300 all the way. But, FWIW, I went from a 98 250 to a 99 300. Not sure what the diff is in my year 250 vs. yours. I'd guess my 250 is weaker than yours.

That said, I fell in love with the 300 within 10 minutes. It doesn't feel any less nimble in super-tight, tree banging stuff. It's actually a bit easier in that stuff, because the motor chugs so much better. It probably isn't any faster than my 250, just such a better (more torque) powerband. I rode it in 2nd & 3rd all day on my regular loop, whereas I'd be in shifting a lot more & using 1st a lot on my 250. On one big, power-robbing hill, I was in 2nd, and lost momentum. On my 250, I would have had to jam it into 1st, do a panic rev & pop the clutch, wheelie, lose control, etc. On the 300, I lost some momentum, shifted to 1st, grabbed a handful of throttle, and rocketed up the hill. Fast. No stab of the clutch needed, so no wheelie & loss of control.

I thought my 250 had good low-end putt-putt all day power. This 300 rocks. Plus, with an FMF TurbineCore exhaust, it sounds cool. ;)

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
smit,

there is nothing wrong with the 200, i loved mine. i was ready for something different after 4 years of 200s, & was planning to switch to races with more open, mountainous terrain. tight terrain down here in the deep south is tight, man, i've had to wiggle the footpegs thru trees in enduros, much less the bars.

i am 6', about 215 well-sculpted lbs. i wanted more torque & a bigger frame, & the 300 has those. my last 200 was all tricked out, ran about like a 225, but i wanted to try the bigger 1. it is a better compromise for me, in the places i am riding now. but there are times that i miss my 200.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
My experience with the 250's and 300's is that they are very much alike. The main difference I noticed is the huge low end power of the 300. It powers hard out of a corner and seems to hook up a little easier than the 250. It's perfect for my 6'4", 200 lb. brother, but way overkill for my 165lb.
I almost switched from my 200 to a 250 this year, but decided not to because the 200 doesn't wear me out as easily. So if you are strong and tall, the 300 is probably better. People who are used to open class power or a 4 stroke will like the 300 also. The frames are identical and I think the spring rates are too.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I would say it depends on your current riding style. If you're constantly lugging around on your 250 now, then the 300 would be better suited for that. If you're a point and shoot rider, the 300 will probably wear you out. I'm 155lbs and ride a 300 and love it. A lot of people jump on my bike, throw it in first and punch it, scaring the crap out of themselves. Put it in third and ride it all day using that low end grunt. If there's a field or good straight away, Hang On!!

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
I traded my '99 KDX200 in for an '02 KTM300 EXC early last year. I was concerned about the power band on the 300 being to harsh for the type of riding I do here in NC (tight, ruttty, rocky, hillclimibs, etc.). After the first ride, that concern was long gone. I love the power of the 300. Just put it in 3rd gear and lug around where ever you want to go. Not only will it lug around, but once you get the feel for the bike you can let it rip. Just make sure you are pointed in the right direction before you let it rip. After riding and racing (Harescrambles and enduros) the 300 I wouldn't change anything. Actually this is the first of 10 racing seasons that I have ever won a race (NCHSA OPEN B class) and I am actually leading in the points. I am much faster on the 300 and I have no problems with the power in the tight stuff. I rode a friends '03 250EXC the other day. It was smoother in the power delivery but really lacked in the low end department compared to my 300. BTW I am 185 lbs. and 5'10". Hope this helps.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
A friend who races enduros switched this year from the 250 to the 300. He calls it his “cheater bike” because the extra grunt allows him to regard shifting as optional. After chasing him around a few trails, I can attest that he’s a lot faster on that thing.

Top Bottom