250F...must it be REVVED to use it?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm interested in a 4T for trail/track riding. I mostly play ride but like to be aggressive when I can.

My gut is telling me that a 450 would likely be too much power, maybe even in WR/CRF-X form, but I'm worried that a 250F would need to be ran off the rev limiter to get anywhere with it.

I want a bike I can have fun with (get power out of it) without having to scream it. I'm 220 w/o gear; will a 250F make me happy or will I have to rev the piss out of it to get any power?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Are you A/Pro in the woods?
Short of that, being an average rider myself, the 250F gets me around the moto track as fast as I did on the 450 (with a LOT less arm pump)... I'm no woods rider so take it with a grain of salt, but I got to ride a 250-X in the woods in Stillwater and it was PLENTY for me, I had a blast! I'm a little heavier than you. It makes really good controllable power on the bottom.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Here is your bike.

KTM_ENDU-400EXC.jpg

Shut up, Bob.

:moon:

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Okie, thank you, that response helps me a lot. (I'm a C rider BTW.) Your response leads me to believe that I can have a blast on a CRF250X/WR250 without having to scream it.

And Vic, thanks for your post; this morning when I thought only a 450 would do, I submitted a RFQ for a 400EXC.

MHawkmx

Mar 7, 2006
I spent a week in Salisbury when I became a Store Manager with Food Lion...But that was years ago. I remember some great NC style BBQ! You can't get that stuff here in Oklahoma. Man That stuff is GOOD! :laugh: :nod:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You can't get that stuff here in Oklahoma.
You gotta be kidding! You must be going to the wrong places :)
In OK you've got to get out in the sticks and find the place run by the old black dude sitting on the porch... HE can make some BBQ mister! Case in point, a run down, shack of a joint in Wewoka, OK ... can't recall the name, but man, that pulled-pork BBQ sammich was to DIE FOR.

Now... if it's sweet BBQ you prefer, no you won't find that in OK.

MHawkmx

Mar 7, 2006
If you have never been to the east Coast and had "Carolina Style" or Lexington BBQ its very unique and nothing like the stuff around here. It is'nt a tomato base BBQ or sauce...it is vinegar based and is just awesome..yes it is like pulled pork ( and don't get me wrong I eat plenty of Cherokee Strip BBq) but it prepared differently. In NC they serve it on a bun with slaw on it ....it is great stuff. I think the new Toby Keith Place over on the Riverwalk in Bricktown (OKC) has an appetizer based on the NC stuff... :cool:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'd rather get fat on BBQ than own another Yam wr250f. Some guys like them and good for them. But for me ("b".....maybe "a" woods rider if I wasn't in my upper 40's) when it came time to "hunker down and haul" it had to be revved to the moon.......felt like it would blow up........maybe it wouldn't, but it was a wierd issue for me. I hear the crf has more snap on the bottom.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The 2-T guys will always find a 2T vs 4T argument, no matter the thread :p

I guess if it's "snap" you need when riding up a snotty, root and rock infested trail, then yeah, I'd go with the CRF. All I know is the lack of said "snap" is what allowed me to get thru the 10 miles ... I had a 250R (Thump's), 450R (Mine) and a 250X (Elk's) to choose from before going on my first "real" ride in the woods... the X was for sure the right choice.

CRF450XRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
I Struggled With The Same Decision,i Am 175lb Without Gear On And I Opted For Crf450x And Sometimes I Think I Bought Way More Than I Can Use,but It Is Awesome To Ride And Now I Think It Would Be Hard For Me To Downsize. :ride:

CRF450XRIDER

Aug 3, 2006
I Struggled With The Same Decision,i Am 175lb Without Gear On And I Opted For Crf450x And Sometimes I Think I Bought Way More Than I Can Use,but It Is Awesome To Ride And Now I Think It Would Be Hard For Me To Downsize Now.

Top Bottom