250f , must rebuild after only 30 hours?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i was considering buying a new 250x till i read in a current magazine that the engines have to be rebuilt after only 30 hours,,i just pleasure ride, but that would mean rebuilding every other month. how long can you really go before rebuild time?

sean

Moto_Pimp

Dec 10, 2004
I have the 04' 250 R version of that bike and they say that you have to do that bike every 40-50 hrs., but my manual says about 20hrs. and I got about 60hrs. out of it, but I'm not sure if I got got a lucky one or not. The rumor is that on the R model Honda changed and redesigned the head so they last longer. When I read the review on the 05' X model it sounds like they didn't change them for that model, cause they still had problems. :bang: So unless you ride in the night time and need the light it might be better to get the R model. It is also good trail (or pleasure riding) bike and seems like it might last longer.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
They'll last longer than 30 hours if all you are doing is trail riding at a moderate pace, but it will still require a lot more maintenance than an old XR250. These are serious race bikes with titanium valves, single ring slipper skirt pistons and 13,500 rpm redlines that make in the neighborhood of 2 hp per cubic inch. That type of power output requires significantly more maintenance than the lower horsepower engines of years past, but it's worth it in the long run because the bikes are really fantastic. Companies like Kibblewhite are working on stainless steel valve kits for the CRF250s which will go a long way towards extending service intervals and we are working with JE on replacement pistons that we hope will do the same. Stay tuned. :cool:

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
Nevada Sixx said:
i was considering buying a new 250x till i read in a current magazine that the engines have to be rebuilt after only 30 hours,,i just pleasure ride, but that would mean rebuilding every other month. how long can you really go before rebuild time?

sean

It depends on how you use it and maintain it. If you buy a new Corvette, set it on the rev limiter continuously, and never change the oil, you'll need a rebuild a lot sooner than if you use it for city driving and change the oil every 3,000 miles. It's all in the use and maintenance. I agree with Rich, it's worth it every time I ride!

Top Bottom