Kramerica

May 11, 2008
Long story short, I'm moving to a place where I will be able to ride every day if I want, and I want a bike of my own. As of yet I've only ridden a yz125 and a cr125. The yz125 was bored out so it was really like a yz...175. Anyway, I'm trying to get either a 250f or a 450f. I don't want to get the 250 and find it isn't enough power, and I don't want to get the 450 and find that it is too big/heavy with a ton of unneeded power to the point where I don't feel comfortable. I have been looking locally on cragslist, and the majority of the bikes are Honda, which is what I want anyway. And it seems everyone is switching to 4 stroke because of less maintainense and a smoother power band. So the big question is 250 or 450.

I'm 6 ft, 185 pounds, about 2 days total on a db, but a fast learner.
It'll be used for trails, and riding at a local track, and I'm sure jumping when I get comfortable with the bike.

So far there is a much bigger supply of 450s on craigslist in my area, so I'm leaning towards a 450.

Thanks for all responses.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
Haha less maintenance my ass they are maintenance beasts but don't get me wrong awesome bikes. My dad has a crf450r and I have a cr250r both the same year and mine is way easier and quicker to maintain. The reason is the valve train. 2strokes don't have one. for a beginner i would recommend a 250f or 125 2 stroke but if you can get a good deal on a 450f or 250 2 stroke I would go for it.

May 10, 2007
yea if you cant do maintenance do NOT get the 4 strokes.

you need to know how to do a top end and valve adjustments. you can learn how to do it but its easier to just get a 2 stroke if you dont know how to.

Kramerica

May 11, 2008
flyingfuzzball said:
yea if you cant do maintenance do NOT get the 4 strokes.

you need to know how to do a top end and valve adjustments. you can learn how to do it but its easier to just get a 2 stroke if you dont know how to.
What does a new top end and valve adjustments consist of? I am open to doing matinense myself, I just need to learn how. Besides the best rider I know swears by 4 strokes now, so I'm definitely getting a 4 stroke.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
As long as you got a good financial foundation for your hobby a 4 stroke is a great choice. They are much more expensive to maintain. The power spread is great. A friend of mine recently bought a new bike and was in the same posiiotn as you, 250f or 450. He went 450. It was after he rode it for the first time he realized a 250 would have been plenty. Undeniably fun to ride out in the open though. The power is much more than neccesary for 90% of the people who own them. I would just hurt myself with it in the woods or on the track.

Kawikoos

May 5, 2008
My kx250f has never needed any engine work... ive had since 06 and driven it hard at local tracks, and on trails. My friends rm85 from 02 has already broken down twice and he bought it about a month ago, im not sure how the previous owner treated it but it looked good to me. So the answer is, if you do regular maintaince on your 250f or 450; which is listed in the manual under periodic maintaince, you'll be set...
I'd go for the 4

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
I think your only option here is that you get a 250 two stroke. yes i am very biased. but they are easier to maintian. lighter and more fun once you learn to ride them correctly in my opinion. having a "hit" in your powerband is what makes things interesting and fun. but if you are set on a 4 stroke than get a 250. i have read that most pro's ride a 250f when theya re just having fun and not racing and training. which would lead me to believe that a 250f is what the majority should have.

unless of course you get a 250 two stroke casue they are the best.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
for tight woods riding I think a 250f would be fine, i have an rm250 and ktm 300 I use for woods and now just converted over the a yz250f to try out, so far the power is completely different but works great. Still getting use the engine braking with the 4t and not having to really clutch it with my other bikes that sometimes got me is some trouble like flipping my RM back down a 300 foots hill, or shooting out of a tight turn into a tree. The 4t seems easier to control and still has plenty of power for me. I'm 5,9' at 200lbs and it hauls me fine. Suspension is the key to any type of riding though, you can have all the power you need but if its not staying to the ground and being used properly its pointless.

Top Bottom