250f or CR125. Decisions, decisions...

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
Hi All,
This is my first time on your forum, and it looks great! I'm 32, been out of MX for around 6 years, and planning a return very soon. My question is a little different than most of the posts I've seen here (250F vs. XXXX). I'm more concerned with the feel of the 250f than how powerful it is. During the 80's and early 90's, I went through an 85 CR500 and a variety of 86-91 250's, and then in '93 I bought a new CR125. I fell in love with the lightweight feel of a 125. Even though I'm 5'11, 190lbs, I could ride just as fast as I could on a 250, but for longer. Most of the riding areas in my neck of the woods aren't very spacious, so getting outrun by bigger engines was never a problem. I also found that when I did have a near crash on the track, it was much easier to save it with the 125.

I'm shopping for a new bike, and the reviews of the 250f sure are compelling. I'm going down to the local dealership tonight to check out both the CR125 and YZ250f. I've never ridden a 4 stroke MXer, so this is all new to me.

CR125 pluses: Light weight, hard charging powerband (I prefer high rpm to torque), Honda quality (my '93 was bulletproof), $1000 less OTD, $300 Honda rebate. Starts first time every time.

YZ250f pluses: Better suspension, more horses, 4 stroke power (although I've never actually tried it). It also looks like I could wind up kick starting the YZ by the side of the track a lot

I'd also like to ride these bikes in the woods that connect to my property from time to time. Which exhaust note is less offensive to the nieghborhood?

So what's the real deal? Does the 250f feel like a really fast 125, or is it a 250 type machine that happens to be legal in the 125 class?

Thanks, and sorry for the novel!

-Joe

------------------

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
If you do a combination of woods and MX riding...you should not overlook a KTM ??? MXC.

Best of both worlds.
smile.gif

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Tripower think of the 250f as a full mod 125 that doesn't require as much shifting and doesn't sign off if the RPM's drop a bit. I have been racing Moto-X for 18 years and it is the most fun bike I have ever ridden. As far as torque vs. rev remember the 250f redlines at 13,500 rpm. and gets there in a hurry. I race mine in Vet class and it does get better starts than the 125's in the class. I am always right in the thick of things in the first turn. Starting is not difficult if you can differentiate between the cycles as you kick it through. Basic mechanical knowledge will let you fire it up 1-2 kicks everytime, hot or cold. Learn the drill and stick to it. Good luck with your decision. I was a Honda rider for 14 years and the Yammie thumpers lured me to the dark side!

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I have a freind in your same boat, he has a 96 CR125, recently rode my 250F and said after about 10 minutes of riding that it is so much easyer to ride and has great power, after he rode my bike he rode a 01 CR125 and had arm pump within two laps (250F about 8 laps and said he couldve riden all day)
The bike really gets moving in a hurry and will run with any 125, that has been proven at all levels, there are guy's who run there bikes (250F) against all sizes of bikes 125-520KTM's and win.
In a new Dirt Rider mag. the Husky 250 should be ready to race in the outdoor Nationals, and said that by 2003 four stroke 250's will dominate the 125 class. KTM, Husky are probably definates, TM and GasGas are rumored to have 250 4-bangers, theres even rumors of a KX 4-stroke or maybe a revamped KLX. Yamaha is light years ahead of the competition, just look at the Honda, they claim to be the leader in four stroke technolgy, there 450 is still being tested and cant get it right! Yamaha is on its third wave of bikes 400-426 and soon a 450 and every model is a winner!
Back to the 250, it is a great bike, track and woods riding, you will love it!

blakemx124

Feb 16, 2001
Tripower, I'll keep my response as brief as possible because the others hit it right on. My son is 16 and races the 125 Intermediate class on his YZF. We've had YZ 125's the pasty 3 yrs and thaought they were the best, and they would be our first choice if the YZ250F didn't exist. My son says the same thing as Teton said, no arm pump and easy to go fast on and win easier on. I can also tell you that when you need to do a top end on one, that a person who follows the manual and has average mechanical abilities can successfully do a top end without alot of trouble. I did my first one a week ago because we sucked a ton of silty dirt through our air filter. When I measured the the piston rings they were within spec. Our bike was purchased Dec.2000, so I figure probably a topend is needed every 3-4 mos. we were doing topends every 4 weeks on our YZ125 to keep it fresh. My brother has a 2001 CR125. He rode our TZF and I couldn't get him off of it. He wishes he had bought one instead of his CR. He by the way has alot of money in motorwork tied up in the bike and could have had a YZF for what he has spent.

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
Thanks everyone. Now I just have to decide if I should buy one from a local dealer, or buy a used one. They want $5499 + $150 freight + tax ($5950) at the two dealers that still have them around here. I also found a used one for $5250 that was supposedly only ridden once. It's a 2-3 hour drive away, so I haven't seen it yet.

Feb 20, 2001
Seriously consider a wr 250. The power is everything the yz is, and unless you only race mx, the wr is a better buy and is a more versatile than the yz-all the mags agree.

------------------

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
I'm the proud owner of a shiny new YZ250F! I can't wait for Saturday...

Thanks to everyone for the info.

------------------

Top Bottom