thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
If I let my 250f sit for more than a couple of days, I have to push start the bike to start it the day before I go ride. So, if I am racing at REM on Sat, I can be found running down the street pushing my bike Friday night! After bump starting it Friday night, I don't tend to have any problems on Sat. However, I still have to bump start it at least once on Sat.

I am unsure of adjustments to the carb that I can make that will remedy this problem. The carb on this bike is quite cantankerous, and I would be hating life if I messed it up more.

I have this problem with the stock pipe, Dr. D pipe, and the Big Gun pipe. My current jetting is stk main, one step richer pilot, and stk needle/clip. The air screw is 1 3/4 turns out. And to make things even more interesting, it is definately time to replace the rings. On that note: I know a hard-strating two-stroke can be the result of worn rings. Is the same true for a 4-stroke?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Will it start with the hot start button pulled (when it's cold)?
Did you clean the air filter recently?

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
starting

I put clean air filter on every time I ride. I try the hot start when it won't start as well.

The one thing that did help, was that I after washing the bike, I replaced the air filter and started the bike up. Then before I tride starting it a week later, I ran through the stoke about ten time using the compression release before giving it a good kick. It started on the second kick. But I still ended up having to bump start the thing 3 times the next day at the races!

I have a friend who is having the same problem.

I'm thinking that there is an adjustment to the carb I can make. I just am not sure what it is, or what direction to go. But for some reason, I feel that this is not the first time this questions has been posted here. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The direction Okie was going is the logical starting point. Determining if it's too rich or too lean to start will go a long way towards finding a resolution to your problem.

Yes worn rings can contribute to the problem.

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
too lean/ too rich

Once I can't the bike started by kicking, I have tried pulling the hot start button out, choke on, choke off, you name it. And yes, it always has a fresh air filter on it.

If this helps- After riding for any period of time, I do not have exhaust residue inside the cap of my muffler. As well, it does not have that too lean "pop" when I ride.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Rich has mentioned before that some people have a tendency of over-oiling the filter, causing a rich condition... possibility?

It's funny, the first ride on my F, the fuel screw fell out. Stuffed a perfectly sized stick in it to finish the ride. Yamaha has the part on back order, a month later, the part still isn't here, the stick still is :)

The bike starts with no more than 5-10 kicks when completely cold (sitting for days), and starts 1st kick EVERY TIME during a ride. Sunday was the exception, it was over 100 degrees, needed to crack open the remote hot start for it to run.

I'm not sure I want the fuel screw :)

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
Van down by the river

nice location, as long as it isn't the Trinity or the LA river.......

I've tried that, I mean giving it a squirt before I start kickin away. Doesn't seem to help too much. I actua;;y set my idle a little above what is recommended, just so' s I don't stall it as much.

I'm still thinking that there is some type of jet adjustment that would help me start the bike easier. That's what I'm looking for, as long as it exists....:)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
The direction Okie was going is the logical starting point. Determining if it's too rich or too lean to start will go a long way towards finding a resolution to your problem.

Yes worn rings can contribute to the problem.

Rich,

Worn rings are not the issue here since they get replaced, along with the piston, every five hours!;)

Thump,

Make sure that the fresh filter you keep speaking of sets over night before you install it and kick that high compression engine over.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
It sounds like there IS a carb adjustment in order, but if you cant tell wich way to turn the screw its 50 50. If it dose not start with no choke, no, throttle, with the hot start on, it sounds lean. So try it with Choke on, and try bliping the throttle once or twice. One of these methods shold help the starting. Once you determine wich one is the key you can adjust the carb.
When you push start it, do you have to give it throttle before it startes or dose it start with no throttle?

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
wow! i feel lucky, my wr426 has only about 60 miles of tight woods riding on it, but always is "willing" to start. cold..2 blips of throttle, hot start out, and last time 3 kicks. if hot, hot start out, 1 to 2 kicks. and after having/kicking a 78 xl250s and litterally kicking and never getting the thing started " it had good days and bad" i feel like this wr is a piece of cake. knock on wood.

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
My 250F starts first or second kick, hot or cold. No kidding! When cold, I crack the throttle twice, pull the choke, then kick it to life. When hot, I just kick it. I never even need the hot start unless I crash it. There's got to be some kind of jetting adjustment behind starting. I'm completely stock, and I haven't touched the carb.

bassfool

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 24, 2000
Do you have a spare air filter? if you are using a freshly oiled one each time, it could be part of your problem also. If you have a spare, let the oil dry for a time before you install it, I have a friend that had that problem. If there is too much oil, creates a rich condition, and will not start at all.

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
air filter

I usually prep my bikes on Thurs for racing on Sat. So they do get to sit for one full day. As well, I use the Silkolene air filter oil, which when it is applied has the consistency of about water, however, it does become tacky when exposed to air.

But if this wher the case, I think that it would become richer as the filter became dirtier during my race day?

But I'm willing to try about anything.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have been warned that if you over oil the filter or install it prior to letting the solvents in the oil evaporate, filter oil can get sucked into the carb and some of the smaller passages (circuits) can get clogged which will make starting nearly impossible.

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
Air filter

If this all that my problem is, I will be a happy man.

So tonight I will pre oil 5 of my filters and let them sit. I'll put one on tomorrow and see how it starts. Or doesn't start!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Is it possible you are getting condensation in your float bowl or fuel tank? I'll usually pull my float bowl drain plug off if my bike sits more than a couple of days.

jamie456

Jul 26, 2001
My bike is bone stock with WB's pipe and has done the same thing since it was new. It will just not start when cold. After the first ride of the day it's fine. But after a fall during a race it will not start ether. My dad's 426 is one or two kicks every time. With mine I just look for a hill.:think :(

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
plug read

I would have to start it up and let idle for a little bit to get an accurate plug reading.

How can you tell if the carb is too rich, or too lean, on the adjustments that affect the initial opening or the throttle, or even at idle? If it was a two-stroke, I could tell by ear, but I'm not used to working on the four strokes yet. :think

I pre-oiled my air filters yesterday to see if that has any effect.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Re: plug read

Originally posted by thump chump
I would have to start it up and let idle for a little bit to get an accurate plug reading.

You can't accurately read the mixture strength of the low speed circuits with a plug reading so don't waste your time. The feel of "too rich" or "too lean" is essentially the same as it is on a two-stroke. Your past experience is transferrable. Get the feel you are looking for in terms of throttle response.

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
jetting

I don't have my owners manual with me, but I remember reading something about a "start" jet (?). It is the jet affecting the part of throttle position I have been referring. I am wondering the purpose of this jet, and if it can "listened" to as the pilot and clip are?
:think

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
Starting

My 250F starts first or second kick, hot or cold. No kidding! When cold, I crack the throttle twice, pull the choke, then kick it to life. When hot, I just kick it. I never even need the hot start unless I crash it. There's got to be some kind of jetting adjustment behind starting. I'm completely stock, and I haven't touched the carb.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Minestarts exactly as you stated, I have stalled it out on a motocross track a few times and usually I pull the hot start and it starts on the first kick. However twice it refused to start and took many tries so not much of a
consistency when stalling. I must admit most times I stall is when I am riding
like a squid instead of the squid plus I am.

bentbarz

Dec 16, 2000
I guess the easy way to test the air filter theory would be to clean a filter, but don't oil it. Keep the bike in the clean garage and see if it starts any better.

I have a WR250F, and it has been much harder to start since the weather has warmed. I got the thing in Feb, and had very few starting problems. I know this cries out rich, but it runs so good after I get it firing. The problem seems to be the worst when the engine is cold, I still have no problems when it is hot.

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
Probably not it, but worth mentioning!

Do you shut your gas off after riding? Changes in atmospheric conditions can cuase the fuel to expand and contract, essentially flooding your motor a bit after sitting for several days. Nevermind the effects of trailering your bike back and forth. Probably not that easy, but I have seen this happen way too many times. Good luck!!

thump chump

Jun 20, 2001
gas

Always turned off when not riding.

I am thinking along the lines that it is part to my air screw. When cracking the throttle open from idle, there is a bog. Now- I vaguely remember that this is just indicative of a 4-stroke. Letting the air filter sit around before putting it in didn't help. I'm thinking that I am going to have to take it up to my dealer and get some help from him.

I just sit there idling around in large circles before the start of each moto so I don't have to worry about not starting it! I can get away with this for now, but I won't be able to at a big race or national!

Top Bottom