maxcer2003

Jun 12, 2003
so im ridding along in 2nd and my bike just dies on me and now the kickstart won't budge. I've done this before while lifting an unwanted bike off the ground while goosin'er and it had the same problem no kickstart movement, so do i need a new eng or what? Any suggestions would be great. Thx
Donnie Goodacre

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
You most likely siezed the engine. I'm guessing that you didn't let it warm up before you started riding? Basically you'll need a new piston, probably a new cylinder (or get it replated, maybe), and possibly a new lower end if some stray chunks of metal headed that way or the connecting rod got bent/snapped. I would suggest that you take the bike into a shop and have them assess the damage.

maxcer2003

Jun 12, 2003
well, i am going to try and take the repair as far as i can go with it, as far as piston and cylinder wall honning goes i guess i could take the engine to the shop, as i dont have a truck to transport at the moment. And Thx for the help Mr.Freak :)

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
If you siezed it and it won't turn over anymore, the piston is dead. The cylinder probably needs replating.

the best thing you can do to save money is to take the cylinder off yourself, then take it into a shop. I'm not sure how you would go about this if the piston is melted (a.k.a. welded) onto the cylinder, which can happen. I'm sure you could find a website on how to do this somewhere. I personally would stuff some rags into the crankcase to keep chunks out (assuming you can get the cylinder up far enough to do so), then use a dead-blow hammer to tap the cylinder off (any metal hammer will ruin the cylinder, if it's stuck tight I doubt you could get enough force with a rubber hammer. Dead-blow hammer is the way to go)

Once you have the cylinder off, you could take that into the shop, and they might examine it for free and let you know what your options are (no guarantees on this one, I've never had to take anything in to a shop since my stepdad is a mechanic)

maxcer2003

Jun 12, 2003
Alright , I tore down the eng to the point when the piston is exposed. like the tank,carb,and top end. Now, on the bell hpousing when i tighten the collar nut it moves my piston and crankshaft, it seems hard and feels like its grinding. And as i got the crankshaft to turn almost right around i noticed what seemed to be harden metal chunks stuck on the point where the crank meets the eng case.

Another question i have is how do i disassemble darn pivot for the swing arm and the back end of the trans, as i want to take the entire eng out to clean and repair it

heres a web site with pics & parts: http://www.ktminfo.com/partscat/Page.asp?SL=1&Cat=320363&CatID=532

Thx
Donnie

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
Ok, I'm not sure what you're talking about. What is a bell housing and a collar nut? When you say chunks near where the crank meets the engine case, that would be on the sides of the engine. I can't think of how chunks of metal would be melted onto that part. Are you sure you have the names right?

I have no experience with modern dirtbikes, so I do not know how you would disassemble that. I didn't even know that the swingarm connected to the engine. On all the (old) bikes I've seen, the engine is mounted to the frame with several bolts, and the swingarm connects to the frame. Looking at diagrams at that link you posted, it appears that the swingarm connects to whatever it connects to using a bolt. At this point I would highly suggest you invest in a good shop manual for your bike. Either get one for way to much money from your dealer, or try Ebay.com and half.com, in which case you'll pay less but have to wait for it to arrive...

maxcer2003

Jun 12, 2003
ok ok last night I took a closer look at my situation and it turns out there was a small metal chunk lodgged in the space between the eng wall the the crank. I noticed because as i turned the crank back and forth the metal chunk lossend and the piston and shaft work now due to some work with a flat head. Pretty screwed up but the good news is that i didnt sieze my eng.

Top Bottom