YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Put my name on the list for the X. Dealer is getting two and I get the first one. Im all kinds of stoked. Hopefully all the R owners will have the jetting etc all worked out by then and I can get the X up to speed quickly!

I only worry about that extra 24 lbs....... :(

Last edited:

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I'm concerned about the extra weight also.

It would be great if you could order an X sans the e-start. Or a kit to take it off? The weight is getting too close to the 450 CRF.

Honda did the same thing over the years to the XR 200R, which wan't a bad woods bike. Up to 1991 is was a lightweight bike with decent suspension. Than they lowered the suspension in about 1992, making it more a beginner's bike. And recently they made it a CRF 230, added an e-start, and the thing now weighs about 250 pounds, more than a CRF 450! The early 200's had a shipping weight of under 220 pounds. Now, in order to get a lightweight 230 thumper you have to pay $$$$$ to BBR.

So it seems like the answer is to get the 250x. But the components they add to it weight too much. Especially when you can get a 03 EXC 525 that weights only 256# without gas. Why doesn't Honda bring the weight down?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I don't understand the concern about the weight.  First of all, it's how light the bike feels on the trail that matters, not what the scale says.

Regardless, 232 lbs. (if thats the real weight) sounds pretty darn light for a 4 stroke, e-start bike with a spark arrestor, odo, head and tail lights, bigger tank, kickstand, heavier 18" tire, o-ring chain, etc...

Face it, off road equipment and e-start add weight.  If you don't want the offroad goodies and the magic button, don't get the X. 

FWIW, my two stroke, kick start '99 CRE250 feels pretty light to me and it weighs about 235 on my scale with all the armor, lighting system, 18" wheel, heavy tubes, etc... In the real world a KDX200 is pushing 240 pounds by the time you get good tires, armor, thick tubes, a computer and an o-ring chain on it.  

YardDog24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2003
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
I don't understand the concern about the weight.  First of all, it's how light the bike feels on the trail that matters, not what the scale says.

Regardless, 232 lbs. (if thats the real weight) sounds pretty darn light for a 4 stroke, e-start bike with a spark arrestor, odo, head and tail lights, bigger tank, kickstand, heavier 18" tire, o-ring chain, etc...

Face it, off road equipment and e-start add weight.  If you don't want the offroad goodies and the magic button, don't get the X. 

Good point. I guess I wonder if I shouldnt just go with the F. Im leaning X because its designated as a "woods" bike. Will the trans etc make that much difference? The magic button would be nice in that Im a whopping 5'6 so in a pinch it may come in handy............

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
I know the e-start will make a difference. In the texas hare scramble series all of the ktm's had a big advantage in the dead-engine starts we have.
When you looked at the start videos those guys were just totally leaping off the line, while all of the kick-start guys were 2-3 bike lengths behind.
All of the older 400exc models would get passed up by the red tide but the one guy on the 525 could not be caught, with the advantage he got off the line.

Any clue as to when a 450X will be made ----probably when the new frame is introduced in 05 , I guess.

see ya

Top Bottom