mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
ran out of air filter lube the other day, and my manual says to use air filter lube or engine mixing oil, also i have read about it somewhere before...so i put some 2t oil on my clean filter, anyone done this before?

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
I have never done it, we always used filter oil. But I am wondering the same.

Its not as tacky as filter oil though.

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
Brandon H. said:
I have never done it, we always used filter oil. But I am wondering the same.

Its not as tacky as filter oil though.
i was caught out and used all my filter oil, so i had no choice :) . Have you ever heard of anyone using 2t?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Years ago they didn't have "air filter oil" so the only thing there was to use was motor oil.

I would think that the filter specific oil is better but I doubt that you did any harm using two stroke oil.

Rod

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
^
Joking

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I would think it would work, just not as tacky so it will probably not catch the dirt as good.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Chainsaw bar oil works perfect. It's actually speculated that most foam air filter oils and chainsaw bar oils are one and the same product, with different labels. It's very tacky, easy to apply, and seems to work fine. I've been using it for quite some time with no ill effects that i can see. Inside of the filter is always 100% clean when I take it out to wash and re-oil.

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
julien_d said:
Chainsaw bar oil works perfect. It's actually speculated that most foam air filter oils and chainsaw bar oils are one and the same product, with different labels. It's very tacky, easy to apply, and seems to work fine. I've been using it for quite some time with no ill effects that i can see. Inside of the filter is always 100% clean when I take it out to wash and re-oil.

Serious?? I need more filer oil, and if this is right, I will be stocking up on bar oil, its far cheaper. :cool: I love how there is always a cheap alternative to stuff in the MX world :)

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I have only started using 'filter oil' recently, until then I just used 30/40 motor oil no problems ever. I have even used hypoid90 diff oil no probs. I started using elf filter oil but I found that it choked up the filter too much and made performance suffer so I changed to Castrol spray on, much better. If I run out I would have no hesitation in using motor oil again.
Actually you could probably use toothpaste as long as the air gets in and the dirt doesn't. Okay... not toothpaste as it's an abrasive, but you get the picture.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Bar oil, seriously. Get some and do a side by side with your favorite air filter oil. It's the perfect substitute. These days I just keep a gallon of bar oil in the garage and don't bother with overpriced air filter oils anymore.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
1+ on chainsaw bar oil. It's what I normally use. When I was a kid, my dad had a mix of 50% STP and 50% 50 weight non detergent oil in a coffee can. He used it on engine assembly. I used it on my air filters. As far as I could tell, it worked pretty good.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
there's no such thing as "grade" with bar oil.

it's pretty thick stuff -- if you have success with the spray on, and you saw some sort of hindrance of performance with other sticky filter oils, the bar oil will probably be just as hindering.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
XRpredator said:
there's no such thing as "grade" with bar oil.

it's pretty thick stuff -- if you have success with the spray on, and you saw some sort of hindrance of performance with other sticky filter oils, the bar oil will probably be just as hindering.

Agreed.

And yeah, I dont' know about different grade's for bar oil. I think the stuff I'm using right now is husqvarna bar and chain oil.

Mar 18, 2006
There's summer and winter bar oil. The winter oil being thinner. I've been wanting to try bar oil for a long time. I keep buying Honda filter oil. It doesn't add up to too much, as long as you don't use the spray can stuff. :)

Top Bottom