evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
First off we had a great ride. A non-DRN buddy and I met up with tx246 and we headed up to Lake Murray. A little non-DRN'er bad karma reared its ugly head as my buddy's bike fell over on the trailer in a parking lot, doh. I told him to register himself. Oh, well, push on.

We arrived at the parking area at about 8:15AM and were the first ones in the gate. Okies must sleep in on Sunday. Nice facilities, clean restrooms, showers, freshly limestoned parking area, generally well organized. Only thing missing is a bike wash and boy it would have come in handy. The riding area is about 1000 acres according to the park ranger. Its not as organized as it could be but there are a few really cool trails w/o any crossings that you can really cruise on and not have to worry about getting t-boned.

The 3 of us rode for a while until the non-DRN'er bad karma struck again and my buddy smacked his shin on a tree and got tossed off his bike (I told him to register himself :| ). We went back to parking area to let him rest and BSWIFT and OldMaicoNut pulled in. They got geared up and 4 of us headed out as my buddy decided he was done. We rode around and at times did our best impressions of "Muddy the Mudskipper". It was dry for the most part but there were some low lying areas that were pretty nasty. But like OldMaicoNut said: you're riding dirt bikes, you're gonna get dirty, carry some momentum. Good advice for mud no doubt.

The Tejas contingent headed out a little early but the HS'ers stayed to get some more riding in. It was everybody's first time there except for tx246. Thanks for taking point all day. We logged a little under 40 miles throughout the course of the morning according to the GPS. Fun ride for sure. Definitely plan on a return trip. Good to see the OK guys again. See ya at the Dallas SX.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okies must sleep in on Sunday.

Guilty as charged.  I had an hour and a half drive to meet up with OldMaicoNut and forgot to put gas in the truck the day before. :confused:   Found OMN place and quickly loaded Brutus on to his trailer and we were off.  My sinus's were giving me havoc but I was determined to make the day.  We arrived around 10:45 and were unloading and gearing up for a new trail ride. 

TX246 was maintaining a pretty good pace until we hit the "bogs".  I think we all hoped it wouldn't be very long lived but we were wrong.  Somehow or another, Evenslower impeded OldMaicoNut's momentum and there was a "splash".  TX246 backtracked on foot and helped to dislodge the YZ and OldMaicoNut from the bog.  After a short break, we were off.

We had a few encounters with helmetless ATV operators at intersections and we ran up on some going very slow.  Brutus was rev'd and it was much like a horn in traffic.  We made our way around and kept a good pace.  We took another short break near the lake and laughed that everyone was being considerate with the roost.  "Things would be different if Justql was here".  We all laughed at the reallity. :laugh: :(

Heading back to the parking area, we dranks some water and shot the bull.  The Tejas guys were calling it a day and OldMaicoNut and I decided to ride some more.   We said our farewells and hit the trails.  We switched bikes for a while, stopped to take a break and then swapped back.  Rode some more and had a good time.  We pulled out aound 2:00.  We hit the infamous traffic jam heading back on I-35 north of Ardmore.  Took 30 minutes to go 7 miles.  After reaching OldMaicoNut's house, we unloaded his trailer and loaded my truck.  "Brian, you got everything?", to which I replied, "yeah."  Needless to say, my triangle is on vacation.  I'll put it to work when we meet up for Dallas SX. 

Bad news is, I got hammered by my allergies about thirty minutes from the house.  Stayed home from work today and going to the Doc tomorrow.  The Dogwood's are in full bloom.  Oh well, at least it was after I had a good ride with good people. 

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT

and laughed that everyone was being considerate with the roost.  "Things would be different if Justql was here

ain't that the truth? he wrote the book on poor trail etiquette. i don't believe that i've paid him back yet. :|

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by mx547
i don't believe that i've paid him back yet. :|

Bring your DP bike to the farm Memorial Day weekend.  We'll put a knobbie on it and hold 'em down for you! :p

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
it was a good day. i wont go thru the who/where bits. one benefit of hitting this place early was the chance to see the wildlife. we saw four or five whitetail at various points on the trail. we also saw some canada geese. usually these creatures are pretty wary but a single landed in the water 30 yds from us and we were in plain sight. maybe it was our motocamo. i did my best to keep the bikes clean. its the motocrosser in me. unfortunately my desire to avoid mud got the best of me. once muddy i decided to just ride what was in front of me.

i felt bad cutting out early with guest coming in from a ways. i didnt know that they were coming until i was already there. i had promised the wife that i would attend her soccer game that afternoon. by the way, her team won and is now in first place ;)

i cant wait for the dallas sx and the post sx riding. see yall there.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Hey........I've been nice lately.(I think my reputqation was a little over exaggerated anyways) :think: Just ask oldmaiconut how nice I was at DW. Sad but i've only ridden a few times since then. :(

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Glad you guys had fun. Last time I was there, there were no amenities. Sounds like they've really fixed the place up. :thumb:

Top Bottom