JoeAverage

Jun 22, 2000
Ok, what's the deal with the 300 E/XC? Pros? Cons? I hear a lot about the 200 and 250 on here, but I'd really like to hear about the 300... Anyone own one? Price? Will it putt-putt "nicely" and then come to life with some twisting? I'm sure I'd be content with a 200 but the testosterone/ego thing is kicking in! I'm gonna be getting off a 00 RM250 and want something with trailbike features (ie., lights, heavier fly wheel, flexible suspension, comfort!) I don't want the KDX because I feel like I'd just spend money upgrading it to what a KTM already is. So whaddya guys think?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I own two 300 excs. A 1994 that my 60 year old father enjoys riding on the two tracks and I ride a 1999. I love both bikes. The 1999 has a Stealy flywheel weight that makes it grunt like a tractor and through a hugh roost. On the two tracks the 1999 goes fast enough for me. However, I have more fun "banging the bars" in the tight woods than tapped out on a two track.

I had no complaints about the 1994. A year ago it was time for an update. My next update will be another 300 EXC.

KTM-Lunatic

~SPONSOR~
Mar 2, 2000
I ride a 99 300 exc it has all the low end grunt i will ever need and when the wild hair gets to itching just give the bike a good twist and make sure it is pointed in the right direction .You are now in the white knuckle zone of the ride :eek:

RMDUSTER71

Mar 27, 2001
:silly: Joeaverage,

The 300EXC is probably what the Dr. ordered. I have a 00' and have never looked back. Yes you can PUTT-PUTT if you want or need to, but when you twist the right hand look out! I don't know how big your are, I'm about 160lbs and my bike just rips and rips. I thought about the 250 but I was concerned that I might out grow it and went with the 300 instead. It was a very good and sane choice for me. No matter what you get remember to take the time to get the bike set up properly. Depending on your location jetting can be tricky. If you have a good dealer they should make all the required adjustments for your area. Your dealer may also help you set up sag, if they don't make sure you check it before you ride. You should be able to find a new one for about 6200 to 6400 bucks, maybe better if you have good negotiating skills(supply and demand). I can't think of any major draw backs. If you plan on long rides consider some kind of work out plan to increase your fitness level because this bike will tire you out if your not in shape. If you can take a ride on all 3 bikes and see which one fits you best, no matter what you choose good luck.

W.P.EXC

Nov 30, 2000

I agree with everyone else, I ride a 99 300 and absolutely love it. I tangled on which to get.. you know 200,250, or 300. I am so glad I went with the 300. This bike does it all as far as I'm concerned. plenty of power on top and on bottom. Go get one!:scream:

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I'm totally digging my 99' 300exc. If I were racing I'd get the 200 (smoother power, quicker handling, less fatigue), but if you want to play ride and race occasionally I'd get the 300 for sure. It's a lot cheaper to just get the 300 than trying to make a 250 run like one. ;)

You won't be disappointed when you twist it either, just hang on tight!

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Having ridden each of the KTM 2strokes, except the 125, I think the 300 is the perfect combination of motor size and handling. As noted, it chugs or rips depending on the trail and your mood. It is not a "handful" though by any means, ridden in the low end you can putt around all day. Do take the time to get the jetting right though, you will be happy you did. I will be replacing my '99 with an '01 or '02 after this season, even in light of the really good RFS models.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I, like Montana300, have riden all the Ktm 2 strokes (even a 50), except the 125. I owned the 380 before the 300. The 380 was just too much for me. Many of my friends would ride nothing else but a 380.

The 300 is perfect. Low end grunt (I call it a 3-stroke), and went you're ready - it will give you near open class power! I too came off of 2 - RM 250s, a '90 then a '94. You will absolutely love the 300. The only caveat, untill you set it up properly, the RM will turn well inside the KTM. When it comes to power though, NO COMPARISON!!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I had a 250 and loved it.
Every 300 I rode felt slow, with lazy power, compared to it.
The 250 barked.
Eeveryone goes crazy over the 300's but I would try to ride as many models first.
I know alot of guys who bought 300's and got bored to tears.
I suspect I am going to get shredded for this opinion but I just gotta put my head on the block.
300's ain't for everyone.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Originally posted by SFO
I suspect I am going to get shredded for this opinion but I just gotta put my head on the block.

LOL! ;)

I will admit that the 300 can be described as "hitless", but to some that is the attraction; doesn't make your tired, easily controlled...

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I know my 300 comes out of corners faster than my buddies on 4 strokes. It is the one feature of a two stroke that keeps me on one -- instant hit. It will be real interesting ride the new Honda to see how that bike comes on!

I know the 250 seems to hit harder (and may), but drag one against a 300 and see what happens:eek:

TexKDX just had a club dragfest, and guess which bike won! Slow, lazy bikes don't win drag races. But slow lazy bike sure can be fun in the right conditions!:p

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
i have ridden all of the ktm's.
all.
the 300 is the friendliest of all of them.
its the easiset to ride, and never complains.

but the 250's quicker

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Fuzz, good point. The 250 is quicker through the woods (otherwise Lafferty would be riding a 300). However, for the all purpose rider I feel the 300 is a more enjoyable bike.

Top Bottom