300 EXC and putting behind a 5 year old?

kitchener

Apr 6, 2005
Reading past threads, there's been quite a few discussions similar to my own story: coming back to riding after 12 year layoff, now getting back to the sport with my 5 year old and his XR 50, but with buddies I want to rip with from time to time, too. I'd also been consider the 4-st WR 250.

I've read conflicting comments about the 300 EXC with regards to putting around behind a learning 5 year old, but you can never be sure the commenter isn't basing his negative opinion on riding his buddy's 200 EXC. Would the 300 EXC be comfortable for putting duties? How is it with hot starts if I have to shut it down for the occasional rescue operation? I'm shopping pre-owned, by the way, '03 or older.

Thanks!

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
I've got a 360 Husky that I bought to ride with my (at the time) 5 & 7 yr olds. Now I know it's an altogether different beast, but the story is similar. Following the tykes in first gear all day gets a little mundane if not difficult. :ride:
I was thinking about getting a little XR150 or maybe a 230, but before I knew what was happening, they were ready for bigger bikes (less than a year), Now that the oldest one is on his new RM65 I can barely keep up with him! Well, relatively speaking. Anyhow, my point is... with the little guys, you can't really afford to think in present terms. Keep your eyes on what lies way ahead, 'cause they'll be there faster than you expect!
So, get what you want to ride and let him catch up. You'll be suprised, I promise. :cool:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
When I got back into riding six years ago, I got a '94 KTM 300E/XC to putt around on with the kids. It works fine for that, though it likes to be ridden fast from time to time to clean it out. Better than that, though, is a four-stroke with e-start, because with the kids you are always stopping and starting, and the button is nice.

CK

Mar 29, 2005
Same story. Two years ago I bought a KTM360SX and an XR100 for my son. I was lucky to get out of 1st gear when we were out together. That got old and he didn't get along with two wheels or a clutch for that matter, so away went the bikes and quads entered the picture. I was able to putt with my Raptor quite well and still get enough kicks when out with my buddies. I would bet a thumper 2 wheeler would be a better way to go overall.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Based on my experience with the kids, its nice to have a kickstand on your bike, since you spend alot of time off it. Depending on how hard the kid falls, you might have time to stand your bike. A bike that starts easily is also key. You don't want your kid busting down the trail and your still trying to kick your bike over.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
My 380EXC tailed my sons smaller bikes ('75 TY80 and '03 65SX) without any problems after a bit of jetting. Also, gear the 300 down a tad to keep the engine (water pump) spinning a bit while not having to slip the clutch (a heat generating process).

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I have had 2 300s (a 97 and an 00) - did lots of puttsin with the kids. Once jetting is set up properly worked quite well. Kickstand mandatory. Ebutton would of been nice though. But i would of missed the fun of the 300 when riding on my own.

You said you were considering buying a used one - I just sold my 00 on Saturday. Oh well!

BTW - based on my experience with my 05 250, the 04 and 05's might actually be better suited to the puttsin thing. Easier to get jetting right on from what I understand, and nice power delivery.

kitchener

Apr 6, 2005
Hi, Thanks for the tips, everyone. I did hear the 04/05s are easier to jet, but likely, they're a little new for my wallet...

Speaking of which, unless one pops up really close, I'll likely find one that's a good drive away, necessitating a lot cyber tire kicking before visually inspecting it, cash in hand. I probably should start a new thread on this, but what are some good, strategic questions to ask someone when a phone or an email are the only methods of "checking out" a bike before withdrawling funds and driving 3 hours?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Good luck, I do the same thing putting around behind my kids and then go race enduros myself. A 300 will take the abuse.

Regarding buying used from cyberspace.

I've bought 2 bikes like that from accros the country and haven't had any negitives with it. I recomend finding someone on KTM talk or DRN as I did. I'm sure there are a million horror stories out there. but mIne worked out just fine. I got exactly what I expected. You can learn a lot about their character by just talking to the owner. If it sounds fishy, just walk away. Good luck.

kitchener

Apr 6, 2005
scar tissue said:
Good luck, I do the same thing putting around behind my kids and then go race enduros myself. A 300 will take the abuse.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you do anything with your jetting and gearing?

Top Bottom