enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Ok it is decided from my previous thread (Looking to Replace YZ400F with 300EXC) that I am definitely moving to the 300.

Question is what are the major differences between the EXC & MXC besides lights. Again I am riding 50/50 trail/desert. What would be the better mount?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Because of tight trails the exc would be better. If you are primarily a desert guy (like I am), where sand is a constant issue, the MXC close ratio gearbox WILL perform better. For an all around tranny, the EXC would get the nod from me. This is coming from someone who prefers the MXC & SX close ratio!

Katoom

Feb 19, 2002
I'd go with the exc for the gearbox as well. The wide ratio will come-in-handy when riding fast desert. The exc may also have a larger fuel capacity which is nice for the trails.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I find the EXC tranny works very good for desert. The last H&H I did had a nasty little hill climb that needed some low gearing to get up. The guys with their high desert gearing were have some big problems. I made it no problem. The last 8 miles was a flat out drag race. 5th gear had the bike going as fast as I wanted and there was still throttle left. The only thing it won't do is pull 5th in real deep sand (as in sand dune) up hill. I run the stock 14-52 gearing and love it. This weekend will be the first race with V-Force Delta 2 reed cage. We'll see if it gives it any more top end power.

KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
I've been out of the game for a while, but wasn't 2000 the last year that KTM made the MXC's? Or maybe more specifically the 300 MXC's? I wasn't sure if they dropped the whole MXC line or if it was just the 300's.

KaTMandoo

Apr 26, 2000
Hello, for the woods I find my 300mxc transmission great but it tends to run out of gears on the more open ( power lines ) terrain. I think the next time I will go with the exc for the wide ratio transmission.

Top Bottom