300 mxc vs 300 exc artical in this months dirt bike mag.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
Hey, have ya'll seen that 300 vs 300 artical out this month?
they were saying the bike bikes are same except for the tranny and light, and that the mxc wasnt as fast on long straights or had the bottom grunt of the exc due to tranny.....

I thought every one here said the suspension was stiffer on the mxc than the exc,,,, or could it be that the suspension on a 250 exc and 300 exc are different?

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
This is my understanding of the differences.

EXC:
Wide ratio transmission (lower first gear/higher fifth gear)
Has head light and tail light

MXC:
Close ratio transmission (Higher first gear / lower fifth gear)
No lights (but the wiring is there for it)

The two bikes share the same engine, chassis, and suspension. I think there is a different fuel tank on the two bikes but I'm not sure which has a larger or smaller tank.

Going head to head I would expect the EXC to have more torque and top speed and the MXC to have more explosive power. i.e. as when coming onto the pipe. Were I choosing a bike for a sport I would probably have an EXC for enduros and an MXC for hare scrambles. Presently I have a KX for hare scrambles.

Dan

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Not really, the mxc is more suited to motocross than anything. Great bikes...the exc is has softer power more suited to enduros.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
DanAKAL said:
I think there is a different fuel tank on the two bikes but I'm not sure which has a larger or smaller tank.
I'd hope the EXC has the bigger tank for a several hour trail ride vs a 20-30 minute moto or practice on a track. I wouldn't want to pay extra for space age lightweight components and then be hauling an extra couple pounds of fuel around the racetrack that I'd never need to get through a moto.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
The 400,450 and 525 exc's ( 4 strokes) tanks holds 8 Litres. And the 450, 525 mxc (4 strokes) hold 13 Litres. The 200,250, and 300 exc's and 300 mxc (all 2 strokes) hold 10.5 Litres. Why they wouldn't all use the same 13 Litres tank in all of them beats me. For all you Americans on here 13 Litres = 3.43 gal. Have I confused everyone enough yet. :nod:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
xsnrg said:
I wouldn't want to pay extra for space age lightweight components and then be hauling an extra couple pounds of fuel around the racetrack that I'd never need to get through a moto.

Who says you have to top it off?

Higgsy is right on and the SX does have a more moto-oriented (read....small) tank. The only tank that seems to be an issue is the MXC 4t. They're just really weird feeling when you have to get forward on the seat. The tanks on the 2t are much easier to get along with. If they'd only offset the fill cap a little more to avoid spashing fuel on yourself due the frame backbone being right there................

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
blanc said:
Not really, the mxc is more suited to motocross than anything. Great bikes...the exc is has softer power more suited to enduros.

where do you come up with stuff like this? the engine and carburetion and ignition and exhaust is identical. the power characteristics are identical. tranny spacing and lights are the only differences.

mw

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
I love mine,I started out getting back to riding with kdx's,got faster cr250 set up for woods.In 98 went with 250 exc,then 99 exc,just couldn't get them to work for me.I bought used 98 rm and loved turning but missed hydraulic clutch and quality of ktm.Tried 00 300mxc because 250 exc just feels lethargic to me,kept it 6mnths, to tall of gearing for me.I went back to a 01 rm set up for woods and kept it till 04 when I bought a 300mxc.I guess top speed same as any 250mx, but this is the best bike for my size I have ever owned and I have loved alot of my bikes,I race vet a in the southeast so for tight woods its great.I have stock 13 and 50 figured I would have to go to 14 front but on third set sprockets and still on stock.

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
I've been looking at the 300 for the past couple of years.
I race 40+ class and presently race an old YZ490 against the new bikes.
I'm a 2-stroke guy and miss the open class bike.

Have any of you raced the MXC in MX and what are your thoughts on the 300 as an old guy's motocrosser?

Hurricane901

~SPONSOR~
Aug 24, 2001
I went from a 01 cr250 to a 05 300 exc, this is the best bike I've owned so far, bar none. Took off all the lights , put on a powercore2 silencer and went 2 teeth bigger on the rear sprocket, With the sx front plate you cant tell if its a exc, keeps up with anything out there, the more slick it gets the more traction. The most important part is taking your time setting up the rear suspension, sag is crucial. If you keep your tabletops under 60 feet your suspension is fine, and when you go offroad it's even better. The only bummer, is the 8.5 litre tank, a range of only 70 to 80 kms.

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
tjswigger said:
I've been looking at the 300 for the past couple of years.
I race 40+ class and presently race an old YZ490 against the new bikes.
I'm a 2-stroke guy and miss the open class bike.

Have any of you raced the MXC in MX and what are your thoughts on the 300 as an old guy's motocrosser?
you will love it,I was at the local motocross track yesterday wih it.i would rather be harescrambling or enduro on it but can hang and have alot of fun on track also.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
The MXC has the wiring for the headlight, but only has the 35 watt ignition, the EXC has a 110 watt ignition. This gives the MXC a lighter flywheel which translates into quicker revver. I have been in both 05 bikes. The owners manual and engine book are both wrong and contradict each other. The EXC has a lower first and taller 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. The rest of the differances are lights vs no lights.

Top Bottom