customfab

Aug 7, 2005
I'm read a post or two about this topic but would like some more input please. I'm getting ready to purchase either a 300 or 380 exc. Looking at 96s, 97s, and 98s years.
Is the 380 that much more powerful than the 300? I've read some comments about the 380 being difficult to control in the woods. I recently owned a YZ426 and am 6' 4" 210lbs. I loved the power but also like the idea of finally riding a "smaller" bike. My bros CR250 is too wimpy for me. I'm probably an average dirt rider but have been on motorcycles for 10+ years. Had a CR500 awhile back and it scared the living crap out of me and was a tank. Also, owned a Honda XR400 and is was beyond wimpy.
So what's your preference and why?

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
My friend used to ride a CR500 and always hated it. He traded it for a 380EXC (or maybe the MXC, I can't remember right now) and he loves the bike. He says it has all the power you'd want, but is very useable and very controllable.
If the 250 was too wimpy for you, I'd say go for the 380. From what I understand the 300 is just a 250 with a little more bottom end.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
Across the rpm spread a 380 makes more power than a 300. The 380EXC has a heavy flywheel so the power is somewhat controllable when things get tight. I'd avoid the '98 model year as it is the first for PDS. I think the '96 and '97s were 360s.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
PDS is the position sensitive damping shock. Basically it is the non-linkage rear suspension.

With proper suspension valving and motor tuning, I think the '98 is a fine bike. The powervalves are adjustable - if you want better mileage and smoother trail manners in the tight stuff, set the powervalve to open later than stock. It will still have plenty of low end, yet will rip on the fire roads when you do crack the PV open.

IMO, the 300 has plenty of motor, even for the desert.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've ridden a '95 and thought the motor was every bit as good as the '99-'00's (I think the stock jetting left a little to be desired on all of them). The '95 is a little wider around the seat middle and maybe a little heavier than the new ones. But if it is running right you will not be hurting for power.

Top Bottom