300EXC vs 400EXC vs 520EXC

Bullwinkle

Aug 25, 1999
I'm pondering the same question. I ride a 2000 300EXC. Iv'e been thinking of going 4 stroke too. I was told I would be disapointed with the power of the 400 but am a little nervious about the grunt of the 520. Right now our local dealer is selling 2001 300s for $5000 compaired to over $7000 for the four strokes. a couple thou is quit a bit to pay for more weght and not having to mix the gas but I sure wish I could have one of each. I think if the 400 was close to the power of 300 I may be faster, as the 300 can be quit a bit of work in the tight stuff. Good luck I'm sure they are all great bikes it's just hard to choose.
Jim

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I wish I could help, but I only own a 300 MXC and a 400 SX :silly:

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
I own a 520 EXC, WR 400 and a 300 EXC. My buddies mostly ride 400 EXC's. All are great and have their advantages. But living out here in the wide open spaces, if I could choose only one (drum roll please) the 520.

Feels light and nimble like the 300, has the juice for the sandwashes and just doesn't tire you out like the 426's hit will. (Not to mention the starting)

If I lived in a place with lots of trees I would go for the KTM 400. For the desert the 520 is the one, even for this tired old war horse. Makes a fella feel young again.

The older I get, the faster I was.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Do not fear the 520 !!!

I am never going to be a World Champion at any bike sport. I'm a steady, plodding rider. I rode the 520 up big wet rocky climbs, over damp leaves and on flat out fire roads. It is smooth, has linear power directly related to how much right wrist you use. It is not a beast unless you yank the throttle round. You will find loads of controllable low down torque as well (what a surprise !!!). My friend puts it in third (EXC) and rides round all day changing once or twice !

Don't get me wrong. I did wheelie in second gear and it was easy to do when I put my mind to it but I never did it unintentionally.

You won't be disapointed !

DougM

Oct 12, 2001
Love the name Phast Phart.

I have a 2001 KTM 300EXC and enjoy the bike. However I am faster on a friends WR426 in the desert. I am also new to motorcycles and come from MT Biking. On real tricky trails (very technical woods in North Calif Sierras) I used to use my wifes new 2002 XR250R first. I likes the engine braking and the bike is smaller so if I had to jump off the bike it was easy to do so. Now that I have many hours on 300 (twice to trice) a week riding I don't bother with 250R and ride 300. But I do like the 4 stoke engine braking and the good low end power. In the desert I had some problems going down hills on the 300EXC because I tended to brake alot (During Thanksgiving). On WR426 I just used Throutle a lot and engine. I am riding with a DRN guy on 12-8-01 who said he will teach me new ways to ride 300. The 400 or 520 EXC's with low first and electric start should be perfect for me. But I always wonder and look forward to more replys

Doug

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…