Brian_V

Jun 22, 2005
I'm new to two strokes. I just bought a 2003 KX 250. Love it, raced my first enduro on it today. But... after the race there was a bunch of oil dripping out of the exhaust pipe. I'm running Silkolene premix at 32:1 (the recommended mix ratio). I know a lot of people ride 40:1. What are the tradeoffs? Is it normal on a two-smoke to get that oily crap dripping out the tailpipe?

Thanks,
Brian

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
rejet :nod:

KAWIDUDE-1

Feb 3, 2005
I also have a 2003 KX250 and was running 32:1. I recently switched over to 40:1. I found that running 32:1 my bike would run perfectly, the next day it wouldn't run at all, and then the next day it would be running great. This is also probably due to my riding style. I'm not always on the pipe, I don't lug the bike around either though. Also noticed alot of spooge comin out of the tail pipe. After running 40:1 I haven't had any problems. No excess oil coming out of the silencer, and it doesn't smoke when warm. Just hope I'm not starving my engine of lubrication :ohmy:

05chevyz71

Jun 20, 2005
I know everyone here says to rejet and you may need to but for what it's worth let me tell you my experience.
I bought a brand new 2003 RM125 brought it home mixed up some 32:1 Yamalube premix (semi-synthetic) and the bike spooged all over the place.
So I was getting ready to rejet and thought let me try one thing and switched to Mobile Racing 2T at 32:1 which is a full synthetic oil and the bike no longer spooges and actually runs better.
Just today I pulled the spark plug to have a look and it was a beautiful tan color. I don't know if silkolene is a full synthetic, I think they make both semi and full but try what I did first it may solve the problem and if not then rejet.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I have been running 40:1 yamalube 2R in all my 2-stroke 250's since 1996. Always had great engine life, very little spooge and a very clean top end. It is well worth it to get your jetting sorted. Your bike will run better, stay cleaner (inside and out), be easier to start and more reliable (no more fouled plugs or stuck pv's).

AS250

Jun 30, 2005
I've had my cr250 for almost a year and have been runing it 40:1 and i usally ride it in the pipe and i haven't had any proplems with it yet

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
FWIW I used to run Silkolene, and even their fully synthetic seemed to produce a great deal of gunge quite quickly even when jetted as good as I know how. I tried various other oils and settled on Castrol TTS which is really clean

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
muddy226 said:
FWIW I used to run Silkolene, and even their fully synthetic seemed to produce a great deal of gunge quite quickly even when jetted as good as I know how. I tried various other oils and settled on Castrol TTS which is really clean

I been running Castrol TTS for 4 years now also, very happy with it!

Believe it or not, if you do not ride really hard and generate allot of heat you can see more spooge with a synthetic oil than a mineral, because the synthetic needs a higher temp to burn thoroughly.

Top Bottom