Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
I've been wanting to big-bore my wifes KDX200 but for lack of funds have found another way to boost bottom end power and not have the bike come on like a rocket at 3/4 throttle.

You can find PWK 33 carbs dirt cheap as their stock on a KDX220.
I got mine for free as a friend put a 35 on his bike.

To make a shorter story of this , the smaller carb really made the bottom end much crisper and torqueier . The transition to mid range is very strong and linier with no major hit of a power band and then of course the top is soft , but if you shift when it stops pulling the midrange has plenty of power.

What I was surprised at was the Jetting set up , richer than a 220 set up . A 45 slow jet , 150 main , stock 1173 needle with
clip 3rd slot down , air screw 1.75 out .

This bike has a FMF woods pipe and a FRP torque ring.

Before this the bike ran great but like a 125 on steroids.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds like a good solution for you.

Not surprised you needed richer jetting on the 200. The smaller displacement 200 does not suck in as strongly as the 220 does. So the 200 picks up less gas with each intake stroke.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
I guess I can hijack my own thread.

I pulled the flywheel today to check the factory timing
setting and found it to be slightly retarded.
That could have also contributed to the top end power.

I set the stator plate at the factory most advanced mark
but havn't had a chance to ride yet.

06 KDX 200

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
My son rode today and he instantly noticed how much snappier the bike is off the bottom and midrange. He said " it gets there quicker"

We have an magnetic speedometer / computer on this bike so I took it up the road just to see how much top end we lost. With 13/50 gearing , the bike with still go 65 mph wide open. That's more than fast enough for a trail bike.

Top Bottom