fairrind

Jun 6, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 36 years old 5' 11" and 205lbs with no gear
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? In decent shape, run and hit the gym regularly. I am not aggressive and ride conservatively. I really don't want to break any bones.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? 50% MX track 50% forest / trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? 25years off and on. Most recent experience is street riding on 1150GS, Teen years it was all dirt bikes
5) Do you think you will race ? No but would like to get the skills to ride the MX track.
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes to a point. Have done the fluid changes, valves on my 1150GS. Not much else.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No preference. I have ridden the WR450 a couple of times and enjoyed it.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes. Yamaha, KTM, Honda and Kawasaki
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Would like a used bike under $3,000.
10) Do you live in California? No, Texas. I would want something that can be tagged for off road
11) Your age? 36
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I have ridden my brother's WR450 on trails in CA and loved it. Here in Houston there are more MX tracks than trails so I think I would tend to split the time between the track and trail riding. I would prefer a reliable machine that doesn't need a lot of modifications.

I look forward to your guys help.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
For $3000 you should have no problem finding a clean, well maintained, used WR450 or YZ450F. Both are great bikes with an excellent reliability record overall.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
if in truth you will do more mx then go for an mx bike on the other hand if you will end up mainly on trails get a yamaha wr or honda crfx

Top Bottom