David Vogt

Jul 26, 2001
New to DRN. I am really considering a 380 or 300. I have no KTM experience. Anybody out west with some advice? I ride it all. MX to National Enduros, local desert, Tecate HS. I want a very versatile scooter.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Unless you are a Fatboy like me, the 300exc is the most versatile bike out there.

I'm 230lbs, an A enduro and desert expert, on my second 380exc, coming from KX500's and YZ250WRs.
Both buddies are A enduro, desert experts, about 180 lbs, on 300exc's. One routinely beats AA riders at enduros. He's moving down to a 250exc this fall...

Darryl Folks runs a 300mxc at his dad's BITD races, and usually finishes top 10 running against open bikes...

Buy the 300mxc or exc...

David Vogt

Jul 26, 2001
Unfortunately I am a fatboy. 200 lbs. What is the difference in power the 380 makes vs. the 300? I don't mean numbers, but more the torque and revability feel of the motor. I'm coming off a fully tweaked Pro Circuit KX 250. Does the 380 make that much more power?

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
David, a fully tweaked jap 250 is probably close to a 300. The 380 has a much better bottom end and midrage, upper about the same.

Both my XR650R and my KTM380 make about 49hp. The 300 is probably mid to high 40's. A REALLY good running 250 is mid 40's.

Reliablity of the 300 and 380 are phenominal compared to hopped up 250's. I have had less problems with my 380 than my old KX500....

The amazing thing is buy it, skid plate and pipe protector it, and race it.
You might add a strg damper and or a set of fatboy springs, but everything else is race ready. I run bark buster on stock AL bars. In the desert, I'd run protapers.

David Vogt

Jul 26, 2001
Thanks- That is kind of what I expected to hear. I've found an 01 300 EXC and a 01 380 MXC to test ride. I want the bigger beans of the 380, but also believe the WR tranny and lights of the EXC would be just the ticket. I have spent sooo much money converting jap mxers to off-road. It would be nice to have it all done for me.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Fatboy - If I was 230 lbs my wife would think I was Anorexic.....

My 380 worked well for me (at 280-300 lbs)..... May own another someday. If I do it will be the MXC.

I would urge you to go with the 380. I think you will like it.... FYI the first thing I did to my 380 was take the lights and trip meter off. And I would have prefered the close ratio box.

David Vogt

Jul 26, 2001
I would get rid of the enduro fluf right off the bat. Down here in S Az, night riding is the ticket. (105 degrees by 8 am) Why dont you like the WR tranny? That is the only reason I am interested in the EXC. Does it not pull very well? Why do you think the MXC is a better mount? Just curious.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I found in the sand the bike just didnt pull the top gears well. There is too much spacing. Granted Im a big guy but the 380 should pull me. I think you will find that Strick would tell you the same thing about his 300 EXC. Around here serious Dez guys get the MXC and gear them up a little. So they still have a decent top speed and a low first is not that big of issue in the desert.

burtlamborn

Dec 21, 2000
I'll throw my $.02 in here: I would never EVER consider getting an MXC. I'm 200 lbs (230 with riding gear on) and the 380 pulls plenty fine for me. I love tight, nasty trails, and I gear my bikes down a bit. 14 tooth c/s sprocket is stock, I run 13 in the trees, 14 in the desert, and even with the EXC wide-ratio tranny, I wish it had a 6th gear. Using an MXC tranny and gearing it up will work fine if you ride more open terrain, but if you ride in various types of terrain you will appreciate the added versatility of the wide-ratio gearbox. I don't notice the gaps or feel that's the tranny is too wide.

Burt

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
How's this: I would never ever consider buying an exc unless I wanted to ride at night!

380excman (Husaman) has nailed it! The exc does NOT pull sand as wellas the MXC. You've got to ride it like you do your 250 at times in deep sand, where the MXC and SX, just keeps pullin'.

Also the last thing I want in tighter stuff is a wide ratio gear box. With all the grunt the 300 and 380 offers 3rd is the perfect gear for single track, but only on the MXC & SX, not the exc, where you have to constantly choose between 2nd & 3rd. There are ZERO gaps in the MXC gearbox. If Deznut reads this, he too will concur. Like most of us MXC riders will say though, I wish it had a 6th gear. I only really need 6th gear about 2% of the time when desert racing, and 1% when trail riding.

Also 1st and 2nd are the same on the MXC & EXC (380).

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Geeze, 3rd gear on singletrak? Your idea and my idea of singletrack must be different.....

I spent alot of time in 1st and 2nd during the last national enduro, Boot Hill, up in Colorado.

My exc is street legal here in AZ.....

Strick, are the primary gear ratio's the same on the exc and mxc?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Desert single track baby 3rd gear, HANG ON! Yeah, if you are cutting trees probably 2nd!

When you speak of primary ratios, 14/52 sprockets? On the 300 & 380 mxc & exc, 1-2 are the same 3-4-5 open up on the exc.

Actually my 380 was an exc. And mine too was street legal. It sucked on the street! I was trying my hardest to find a '99 300exc within 150 miles of me when I sold my '99 380exc. I am really glad that all I could find is the MXC. The ratios are perfect for ME! My next bike is going to have an MX tranny. I really feel that will be O.K. At least I sure hope so:think

burtlamborn

Dec 21, 2000
Actually, if the MXC tranny suits you, it's easier to add lights to the MXC (already has the lighting coil, right?) than mess with the tranny on the EXC. Sounds like the MXC is the best choice for you folks, even if you *do* want to ride at night!

This difference of opinion is really interesting to me. It could be that for agressive riders, the MXC tranny is better. I wouldn't consider myself to be very agressive, so I don't notice the gaps. In fact, when I'm out in the desert, I put the 14 tooth sprocket back on because I don't like having to shift so much with the 13 toother. (And the EXC 13-tooth is still wider than the MXC 14-tooth.) Plus, I could be a little lighter than other 380 riders (200 lbs no gear), and I'm on the 380 not a 300. It could also be the type of terrain we ride. I don't ride deep sand very much. Some of the trails I like to ride require significant amounts of time in FIRST gear, even with the 13 tooth front sprocket. One trail in particular requires a significant amount of time in first gear SLIPPING THE CLUTCH to keep the rpm up so you don't stall. (This trail is a favorite with trials clubs - very challenging in many ways.) I'ts nice to be able to ride back to camp on the dirt road in 5th with a a semi-acceptable top speed. The poor fellas with the MX trannies are tapped out at frustratingly slow speeds when they gear down for the trails.

Primary reduction refers to the internal gearing between the crankshaft and the gears. Final reduction (or final gearing) refers to the sprockets. I *believe* that the MXC and the EXC have identical primary reduction ratios.

Burt

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I don't know what size tank the MXC has, but the combination of the taller gearing and the 3.2 gallon tank on my EXC gives me a pretty good range---50-90 miles, depending on the terrain.:D

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Mileage may vary. I can run my tank dry at our local volcanic cinders desert course in 29 miles..... Main jet was down to a 168.

I vary between 10 and 25 miles/gallon depending on type of riding.....

Dropping the float level (less gas in reservoir) helps a little with mileage.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Sand riding doesn't count! On KTM's at my altitude, most riders run single taper needles and #7 slides, which has acutally more impact than a small main, in most riding condtions (in terms of fuel milage). But not in Sand, it's all main!!:confused:

Top Bottom